ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1028 Posts
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM says it "disappointed" and "betrayed" consumers

Who in the **** EVER came up with this advertising shite ought to be FIRED!! If anyone needs to apologize for crappy products its VW and Chrysler!!

GM says it "disappointed" and "betrayed" consumers

Mon Dec 8, 2008 8:40am EST

(Reuters) - General Motors Corp on Monday unveiled an unusually frank advertisement acknowledging it had "disappointed" and sometimes even "betrayed" American consumers as it lobbies to clinch the federal aid it needs to stay afloat into next month.

The print advertisement marked a sharp break from GM's public stance of just several weeks ago when it sought to justify its bid for a U.S. government on the grounds that the credit crisis had undermined its business in ways executives could never have foreseen.

It also came as Chief Executive Rick Wagoner, who has led the automaker since 2000, faces new pressure to step aside as GM seeks up to $18 billion in federal funding.

"While we're still the U.S. sales leader, we acknowledge we have disappointed you," the ad said. "At times we violated your trust by letting our quality fall below industry standards and our designs became lackluster."

The unsigned open letter, entitled "GM's Commitment to the American People" ran in the trade journal Automotive News, which is widely read by industry executives, lobbyists and other insiders.

In the ad, GM admits to other strategic missteps analysts and critics have said hastened its recent decline.

"We have proliferated our brands and dealer network to the point where we lost adequate focus on the core U.S. market," the ad said. "We also biased our product mix toward pick-up trucks and SUVs."

But GM also says in the ad that it was hit by forces beyond its control as it tried to complete a restructuring earlier this year.

"Despite moving quickly to reduce our planned spending by over $20 billion, GM finds itself precariously and frighteningly close to running out of cash," the ad says.

A failure of GM would deepen the current recession and put "millions of job at risk," according to the ad, which also highlights the automaker's pledged restructuring and intention to begin repaying taxpayers in 2011.

GM spokesman Greg Martin said the ad was an attempt by the automaker to present "a pledge directly to the public."

"We believe we need to deliver this commitment unfiltered since quite a bit of media commentary has not kept pace with our actual progress to transform the company," Martin said.

Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd, a Democrat from Connecticut who is central to the effort to craft an auto bailout bill, on Sunday said GM should replace Wagoner.

GM says Wagoner has the support of the company's board.

(Reporting by Kevin Krolicki, editing by Dave Zimmerman)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Re: GM says it "disappointed" and "betrayed" consumers

The unsigned open letter, entitled "GM's Commitment to the American People" ran in the trade journal Automotive News, which is widely read by industry executives, lobbyists and other insiders...

GM spokesman Greg Martin said the ad was an attempt by the automaker to present "a pledge directly to the public."
Even though this letter ism purported to be a "pledge directly to the public", they published it in an automotive insider trade magazine. GM still doesn't get it: the automotive center in the US moved away from Detroit at least 10 years ago. The "public" doesn't read Automotive News! Geez, get a clue!

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have a 1992 GMC Sierra with a 4.3 liter V6 that I have personally put on over 307,000 miles. The only work I have had done to this truck has been things that you would expect to wear out over time; i.e. alternaters, brakes, fuel pump, AC work, clutch, etc. I have never overhauled the engine. Actually, the valve covers have never been off the engine. Only uses 1 quart of oil about every 5000 miles. Never left me stranded. Not pretty anymore, but still a **** of a truck.
GM has not "betrayed" or "disappointed" me with the quality of this vehicle.

8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I wonder how many lawyers could seize upon this inane statement and successfully SUE GM in a class action lawsuit for those that had recurrent problems with their GM vehicles??

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

Those few cars mentioned do not represent the majority of GM's products. Your sample size is way too small to make a generalization about their cars. My family had a Chevy Lumina and it was a piece of garbage, overheating on every chance it had. All our other cars have been imports and have been great cars, with a Volvo reaching over 240k miles, and a Toyota Previa that is still used every day with over 200k. So there...

8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hey Leon I work for a VW Volvo Porsche dealership and let me tell you that we have no lack of broken down cars for major issues like engines and trannies on a daily basis.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts

I had a 91 s10 4wd blazer that was the biggest piece of sh#t on the road. The motor crapped out at 98,000 and had to be completly rebuilt . One day the glove box door fell on the floor (plastic hinges broke) , the door handles broke, the electric windows quit, the digital dash had to be fixed at 50,000.The ac compressor had to be replaced at 60,000,The paint flaked off in sheets,THe drivers seat mounting bracket broke, the seat belt retractors quit working,the passenger front door and the drivers side rear door hinges broke, the radio died , the rear hatch leaked everytime it rained. I bought this vehicle when it was 1 year old from a 70 year old man. It had 8,000 miles on it when I bought it. My wife drove it to work at a bank and to the daycare and grocery store. It never was off road or even saw a dirt road. There was no explination for this blazer to fall apart like it did other than it was a piece of crap.I practically had to give it away when i bought my next vehicle. Gm should still be apoligizing for this rape of my wallet.That also was the last gm product I purchased.

·
Registered
20 Posts

True, the sample size is a bit small to generally speak of the overall quality of GM products. I was only speaking of my experiance with my truck.
On the other hand, my 80 year old mother has a 94 Honda Accord with maybe 65,000 miles on it and that thing is always having one problem or another. My car pool buddy has a 98 Honda Accord that just had the tranny give out on it with no warning. His wife's 08 Honda minivan just had the power steering pump purge fluid onto his driveway just last week. I know another co-worker with a late 90's Honda Accord that the tranny completely gave out on it recently.
Are these isolated problems or indicative of issues with Honda as a whole. I think a lot of GM's bad rap is left overs from the junk they were slapping together in the late 70's early to mid 80's.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

We have had a total of 5 Hondas, 4 of them Accords that were and are very reliable. Our '87 Accord succumbed to rust as it was a Massachusetts car, our '98 was totaled in an accident. Currently I drive an '01 coupe, my dad has an '03 CRV, and my mother drives an '07 Accord. Never had big problems with any of them. My Accord is as reliable as anything, and I've gotten 38mpg on highway trips before. Plus the Vtec engine is great, and the interior and exterior are pleasing to the eyes and hands. Can't say that about any comparable GM, or American vehicle for that matter.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts

The issued statement is a psychology ploy to win favor for their gov't funding request. The ad people wrote this and they deal in mind games all the time. It's advertising at its subtlest and has no other meaning.

Same as tactics that insulate the managers from the real world, like "we have come to a settlement on this case but admit no wrong doing". Sleep well, GM.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts

Had several GM progucts, all garbage compared to Japanese. I keep my Chevy truck around, well, because it's a truck,only drive it once a week to keep it running. I have replaced many,many parts on it. My Japanese vehicles, oil changes and gas.
Never will I buy another GM product!

·
Registered
668 Posts

norm(The 12 sec Dual SU Dude) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey piper the 04 Malibu was hideous. Compare an 08
> Malibu to an 08 Camry and the Malibu wins hands
> down.

And that makes up for the way GM has treated all those '04 Malibu owners that bought those cars in good faith and were used?
Sorry, I bought one Chevy car,(a Malibu), had the typical quality, or lack thereof, problems and will never be fooled again.

Placing an apology in a trade publication allows them at a later date under testimony to say that the comments were for the trade, not the public, no matter what a talking head may regurgitate to the media. Mis-spoken not mis-written.

·
Registered
467 Posts

My black 1994 chevy full size blazer silverado has 210, 000 miles on it. I only bought it a year and a half ago (i put tons of miles on cars). Seems to run OK but I have no idea what was done for upkeep all along as I have no records. So far, I have put shocks in it and a new muffler. 4X4 works, all power options work, motor is strong, heater heats well. Only NOW do I have to replace a rotted brake line and do a tune up. no issues with timing...

For ZXTOY,the guy complaining about the chevy truck digi dash going out at 50k miles: I checked the records of service for my 1986 300zx and found that the digi dash had to get the infamous service to it only three years after the owner took purchase of the car! There were also hums and whines from the diff and the wheel bearings THROUGHOUT THE LIFE of the car!HMM, and an injector "recall" or voluntary campaign,ok. Replaced timing belt in 1991, 1995, 2008 (that's the FOURTH timing belt in the vehicle including the original), not to mention these cars have constant issues in general with electrical component corrision.

I am by no means defending GM, but I had about 3 Camaros, a Baretta GT, An old malibu, a pontiac Grand Prix. The Camaros and Malibu were already very old when i got them. nuff said. But the Baretta GT and Grand Prix 3.1 liter transverse mounted multiport fuel injected engine of the 90's was a super engine. The only problems I ever had with those two cars were due to my own lack of maintenence and foresight. THE THING IS, GM IS HIT OR MISS. IMPORTS ARE FAR MORE HIT THAN MISS.

That being said, when I first plunked my ass into a then-10 year old Hnda Civic CRX, I was very happy with the car and have continued buying Hondas. The GM cars, even though the quality has been improving by leaps and bounds, the FINISH work leads people to think they are cheap. The dash and interior components of a Honda or Nissan LOOK and FEEL superior to the GM crapplastic.

I could go on about how GM does not put airbags in cars at all in S. America unless they are special ordered. That bugs me a lot. Sure, they are following the laws there, and the airbags are not mandated there, but I guess lives of S. American customers are not as important as the N. American counterparts. I know first hand the damage that they stand by and watch going on down there. With substandard roads and virtually no police enforcement of the roadways, that is a place where the bags are needed. Instead of being responsible, they just let the carnage continue. Honda finally is entering the S. American market. just watch in instant replay as the US 80's and 90's happens all over again in S. America and Honda/ Toyota take over there too.

END MONOLOG/ RANT

·
Registered
668 Posts

RickyBobby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> True, the sample size is a bit small to generally
> speak of the overall quality of GM products. I
> was only speaking of my experiance with my truck.
>
> On the other hand, my 80 year old mother has a 94
> Honda Accord with maybe 65,000 miles on it and
> that thing is always having one problem or
> another. My car pool buddy has a 98 Honda Accord
> that just had the tranny give out on it with no
> warning. His wife's 08 Honda minivan just had the
> power steering pump purge fluid onto his driveway
> just last week. I know another co-worker with a
> late 90's Honda Accord that the tranny completely
> gave out on it recently.
> Are these isolated problems or indicative of
> issues with Honda as a whole. I think a lot of
> GM's bad rap is left overs from the junk they were
> slapping together in the late 70's early to mid
> 80's.

The bottom line:
What cars have the highest rating on reliability from testing sources like Consumer Reports.
They have larger populations to draw from on model reliability than any personal testimonials no matter how appealing/revolting.
But, as the old addage goes;
Fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice shame on me.

GM (You can probably insert Ford and Chrysler here too the way things are going) may now build the greatest cars ever produced, but if they learned their lessons too late, Shame On Them!

These are folks that make their living from what?
MARKETING.
And they are clueless to how they are portrayed or better yet are so arrogant as to discount the impression they make on others outside of their special world?
That's messed up.

·
Registered
680 Posts

I believe the previous poster who said it's just an "advertising mind game."

Funny thing is,

after the begging of government cheese, and a few years down the road, these Executives will jump ship/company with their ridiculous compensation package. Not their problem anymore.

Support America ---->buy a Toyota Camry, Tundra, Honda Accord...

Support Mexico/Canada ---->buy GM/Ford

·
Registered
668 Posts
FWIW:

Q: What did Cerberus pay to Daimler for Chrysler?
A: 7 Billion Dollars.
Q: What does Chrysler want in the way of a "loan"? (Just till March)
A: 7 Billion Dollars.

Cerberus: A multi-headed dog that guards the gates of ****.

1 - 20 of 1028 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.