ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a bunch of posts about restoring the 'wooden' steering wheel from the 240. I don't know when it was retired but I know that it somehow helped to define the car. At least that's how I felt when I drove a '71 for a few years back around 1980.

But as far as having control of the car, that wheel is so skinny, I really wish it had some meat to it. I'd hate to take it off to put on something easier to grip but I wonder if anyone ever made a wooden wheel that was thicker/nicer to steer with that looked like the orig?

So, rambling a bit here but... How do you feel about that steering wheel. It's just so classic!
SoM

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
SoM

I agree with you, the steering wheel is a very nice touch in the car. Can't say I agree with you though, that is as far as changing the wheel, although I can agree with the thought of a thicker wheel.

Probably if they offered something just slightly smaller in diameter, with the same dish, spokes and with a thicker wood ring, then probably.

I recently restored mine using the article in Sport Z magazine as a guide and I'm really quite pleased with it. A friend of mine liked the look of it so much that he's now redoing his wheel.

If you haven't yet checked out Sport Z Magazine, go to :

www.sportzmagazine.com

It's an excellent magazine especially for us Z people.

·
Registered
600 Posts
MSA sells a mahogany wheel with your choice of 3 or 4 polished aluminum spokes. They are a 14.5" in diameter but look quite abit thicker. The center is a very cool silver and black Z. I'm going to get one for my 240Z, soon as I can justify the $200 price tag.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I too am struck with the "look" of the old style wood/plastic wheel. Triple 000 steelwool and some polyurethane will get it looking like new. Using it to steer a car around the track at speed is another story. Some times I think with it's larger diameter it would turn better if it had outer spokes like on a sailing ship. The price of a new one and the style of the old one are keeping me from changing mine.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with excanlon , I am the one that saw his and am doing mine as we speek , I however am using clear laquer on the rim. The rim I do agree feels a little smallish but the nubs make it easy to grip, at least for me . If I were into road racing I would most likely opt for a larger grip size. But I really like the look and when refinished its hard to tell it is not wood . check out sports Z magizine and ask about the fall 2001 issue. Good luck , Gary Portland Ore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.