ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, all I wanted to do was make a slight adjustment on my clutch rod....losened the lock nut, moved the rod about .5 inch in (it was allll the way out), and I lost all my clutch pressure.....just by doing that....spent about 2 hours trying to bleed it....nothing...absolutely nothing. I am doing this on my own....and I read the manual on how to do it....the only thing I didn't do was use the teflon tape on the bleeder valve when doing it...NOW THERE IS ONLY ONE bleeder valve on the whole clutch system right? and that's on the slave? That's what I was using, but I did take off the master 2 times and it DID squirt when pressing the rod..anyway, can't believe that happened just from an adjustment. I ordered a master and slave from VIC BRIT...was actually cheaper than local stores....****..shouldv'e left well enough alone.
chris

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the local boys...KRAGEN and PEP Boys were 50-55 bucks...Vic Brit was 30, 20 for the slave...this will also FORCE me to relax tomorrow instead of getting extremely frusturated trying to bleed this POS
oh well, I still love it.
chris

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
".5" is not a little bit!

that's half an inch! By adjusting the rod legnth even 1/8 inch you can end up with a return port blocked and brakes that won't release...
You drive along, and you keep giving it more and more gas, until it groans to a stop, smoke coming from the front calipers. So you douse them with water to get tehm to release and scratch your head wondering why they're doing that.
Then you pull off at an Arco and just dash in to get a jug of water so you can continue this routine and get home sometime today, and when you come out your car is gone!
Not stolen, though. Just moved. See, as you were waiting in line, the brakes cooled enough to let the pads release, and let your fresh whale tail job on the rear of your newly painted 240 run backwards down the hill towards those concrete-filled poles guarding the gas pumps. Fiberglass and concrete do not mix well at 3mph.
Beware of "slightly tweaked" mastervac assemblies out of wrecked cars...

Oh yeah, been there, done that!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: ".5" is not a little bit!

hahahaha, yes....if it were the brakes, .5 inch would be too much, but this is the clutch cylinder, as soon as I touched the rod, I lost pressure....haven't even run to test and fine tune the adjustment...i wish I could have seen you at AMPM.
chris

·
Registered
651 Posts
Here's what I experienced this (cold) afternoon. My original master cylinder had the resouvour at the front. On the new one it's in the middle with the tube attached near the front. Ok, fine. Well when I installed it, with it adjusted all the way out, the clutch pedal was still an inch too low. So I took the shaft out of the old one and replaced the shaft that was in the new one. Now I have the pedal at the right height. Then I bled the system (nipple on the slave) until clean fluid came through. But it still doesn't disengage the clutch fully. I'll adjust the rod on the slave tomorrow.?

Important, when I bled the clutch I had to pump the clutch many times, maybe 35 or 40. And I went slow. Push it down, hold it down, let it up, wait, etc. Make sure you put at least three full resouvours through it. It seems like if there's a bubble in there, a bunch of your pedal pumps don't do anything, so you gotta keep at it...

You have to use a 1 man bleader kit or use two people...
SoM

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Actually...

If the clutch master is similarly misadjusted (grossly that is...) the clutch will not engage, or will not release.
Yeah, another story, another problem, and another reason why I salvage EVERY factory Nissan clutch master cylinder pushrod when I'm crawling through the junkyard!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Tony

I just replaced my master cylinder and the pushrod on the new one was about 1/2 inch too short so I used the rod from the old one. Is this what you're talking about?
SoM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.