ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since the weather has gotten cold the 82 zx does not start as well. So, I checked the cold start valve and it was ok so I put it back correctly. Now the car will not start or even fire. Help Me ?? The only thing I can think of is The car runs very rich so I replaced most of sensors and adjusted the AFM for leaner. Doing this made it a little harder to start but it would always fire and run great when warm. Please tell me why my car will only turn over and not fire !!

Thanks so much guys for all the past help,

Byron

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did you test the thermotime switch? I have the same problem that you have. My ZX will crank, but won't start if the coolant temperature drops below 57 degrees F for more than a few hours. I blocked off the fuel line to the cold start valve using a bolt. I'm hoping that this will alleviate the problem of it running too rich when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can find all those parts and what they do in the HAYNES Techbook
FUEL INJECTION 1978 thru 1985 .You can pick it up at most any auto
parts store for about 10 bucks.Good luck.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The cold start valve is grounded through the thermotime switch, and is only used when the engine is cranking (key in start posn). So, if the thermotime switch is bad, the cold start valve won't work. This may cause it not to start. Is your fuel pump running when trying to start?

Kevin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you,

I changed the plugs and it worked fine. But it goes through a set of plugs everyb 2 mo. cause it is running rich.

byron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you,

the car is aproject that has been sitting along time and I have a haynes book. I changed the plugs again that fixet it

byron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.