ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gents,

I am replacing the carpet in my Z and though the floorboards are in pretty darn good shape, I did discover a small hole peaking through. I investigated the underneath and there is rust damage where the car has been jacked improperly during its life
(big surprise there, right?)

So, it doesn't look too bad, but I feel it should be addressed somehow. I have posted a video to get a better idea of the damage.

Is there some way to install a temporary repair, aside from doing a welding job underneath?
I would at least like to cover up the hole inside to prevent water from getting in. Is there anyway to patch it or cover it?

No welding experience here on my part.

Thank you,

Bon

still trying to upload the video..... standby to standby

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
If it's in a flat area, drill it out to a larger size for a body plug. Clean the metal. Prime (or use POR15) the area and paint. Use a body plug to plug the hole.

·
Registered
1983 280ZX coupe
48 Posts
Here's before and after fix on my passenger side, using silver POR15. It took a lot of time with a plastic block a big hammer to get that lower hat channel back into place. I too hate mechanics that think they are a lifting point.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Tread

Automotive tire Gas Composite material Tints and shades Space

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a hole develops behind the rear wheel on the passenger side. It's where the spare tire sits on a 1980 280 ZX. It was discovered from the fumes from my exhaust comic g up into the car. Thank God it was summer and I had the window down most of the time. A couple times I started to develops headaches. Anyway we fixed it by finding another 80 280ZX, cutting off the right rear pannel, dropping the tank, having the replacement welded onto the car. Oh and while we were at it we had the fuel line replaced because it was looking shoddy. Figured we'd knock that out whi!e the tank was off. To me there is no temp fix for something that has potential of something greater happening....just saying.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's in a flat area, drill it out to a larger size for a body plug. Clean the metal. Prime (or use POR15) the area and paint. Use a body plug to plug the hole.
it is in a flat area in the foot well, BUT the hole underneath has revealed some area around it where the metal starts to crumble if pressed hard enough. maybe if I could find a body plug large enough. I will give it a shot. thanks!

Bon

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's before and after fix on my passenger side, using silver POR15. It took a lot of time with a plastic block a big hammer to get that lower hat channel back into place. I too hate mechanics that think they are a lifting point.
View attachment 112028
View attachment 112029
That looks really good all finished up like that. Great work!
care to come by and fix up mine like this? haha. I really need to start learning how to weld because I got a funny feeling I am going to run into more of these rust repair issues the longer I have these cars.

Bon

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a hole develops behind the rear wheel on the passenger side. It's where the spare tire sits on a 1980 280 ZX. It was discovered from the fumes from my exhaust comic g up into the car. Thank God it was summer and I had the window down most of the time. A couple times I started to develops headaches. Anyway we fixed it by finding another 80 280ZX, cutting off the right rear pannel, dropping the tank, having the replacement welded onto the car. Oh and while we were at it we had the fuel line replaced because it was looking shoddy. Figured we'd knock that out whi!e the tank was off. To me there is no temp fix for something that has potential of something greater happening....just saying.
Yep. I get that. Rust issues are no joke. and it really sucks when start to appear.
if you still have exhaust leaks, best to check the tail light seals. more common on the S30, but I assume the 280zx would do the same thing if they were in bad shape.
how much did it cost to have that panel welded on there? was it done by a shop?

Bon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts