ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
too embarressed to tell most!!!

I drove a two hundred mile trip with no clutch -- just shifted at that right time speed and revs right to shift with out a clutch --- did ok until I hit the toll booths at the George Washington bridge! **** on the starter. The usual tinfoil fuse was standard of care for me while in school-- so that I don't consider riggin -- that was survival. I'll think of some more exotic ones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: too embarressed to tell most!!!

> I drove a two hundred mile trip with no
> clutch -- just shifted at that right
> time speed and revs right to shift
> with out a clutch --- did ok until I hit the
> toll booths at the George Washington bridge!
> **** on the starter. The usual tinfoil fuse
> was standard of care for me while in
> school-- so that I don't consider riggin --
> that was survival. I'll think of some more
> exotic ones.
Wow...I bet that caused a little anxiety! Tinfoil huh...I think I might try that, keep blowing wiper fuses..but I'm afraid something will catch on fire...ya think? When I was 16 years old, I used some small acme bricks stacked on one another to provide a hard surface that I could lower the control arms of my Pulsar onto, letting the car down with a jack, so that I could change the struts...had a VW Cabriolet once that had a 5 speed tranny with 5th and 3rd in-op, so I used 1st, 2nd and 4th, got 300 miles out of a tank of gas one time like that...

·
Registered
17 Posts

Holy mother of Bob. The only question is how to choose--- here are two of the best I can think of on short notice.
1) I had a VW Bug that broke a throttle cable after a night of drinking in Oakland CA (3:00 a.m.). After much thought a buddy and I ripped out some speaker wire, ran it through the wing window, along the side of the car and through the cooling vents to rig a throttle. 50 miles later we made it home.
2) I had a Jeep Commando (that I STILL regret selling) that lost any ability to pump fuel on the side of a mountain in Idaho. Fortunately the top was off and a buddy was able to fill the carb bowl with gas from a rigging made out of my spare gas can, fuel line and gravity. It was really a pain in the ass to keep the bowl full enough without spilling gas all over the place, but we made it back to town. BTW, I wouldn't recommend trying this without a fire extinquisher nearby. Even with one it was pretty stupid in retrospect.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Electric wires can be very useful.
Once we rode a rather scabby ´59 Bel Air and
it started to rain, heavily and the wipers redused to work.
Well we grabbed a bunch of redundant wires
dangling under the dashboard, tied on end to the left wiper and another to the right, ad stucked it in through the quarter ventilation lights. (brilliant invention that's missed by many)
I sat in the middle front pulling hese cables for
over an hour until we were home, but it worked!
Regards Marten C from Sweden

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.