ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
"This isn't a rod knock"
well, it might be, I didn't watch the avi. I was doing as you asked.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
im sorry i dont have sound in my laptop, so i cant tell you either way

and a question, isnt that the second motor from nyx, or is it still your first one. if it is a knock i highly suggest you get on the horn to nyx.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I've heard a rod knock on a VG. That's a higher tone. That sounds more like a valve tapping. I could very well be wrong though.

Here is the good link:

<http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ZFIVUNA6GAPM3CZK5EXJIT2YQ>

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had a sound much like that on my z31 and i was vary worried and then i found out kinda by accident that it was a problem with my fan clutch and or belt pully. Different Z so more then likely isn't your issue.

Post Edited (Jan 20, 5:17am)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hey SJ,

Sounds almost like my old lifter tick. Here's a suggestion.

Hold (for a long while, not just a few seconds) the RPM's at around 2500 or so, see if the sound fades or goes away.

If it does, then most likely its a dead lifter. If this is the case, run a couple of bottles of engine detergent through the motor (I had used CD2 in my case and it worked)

Goodluck with the problem my friend.

How many miles on that motor btw?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
An old way to identify rod knock is to kill each cylinder one at a time by unplugging the coil pack connector. If the sound goes away or diminishes greatly, then it's rod knock. If not is most likely a lifter.

I listened to the AVI, but it's hard to tell if it's a rod or a stuck lifter. Do as SHIFT_nismo said and see if the sound goes away. If the sound goes away because the engine seizes, then it's rod knock and should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so the car just started not firing on cylinder # 3, and the knock is still there. Any guesses? Earlier, it seemed to go away for a few seconds after holding the rpm's at 2500, but then it came back. And on the next startup, wasn't firing on #3 (the same cylinder I believe is making the knock). Coil pack is plugged in..

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
almost sounds like a deisel, lol. I an't tell if thats a rod knock or if itts just missing on that cylinder. Make sure you got fuel and spark in #3 before you tear the heads off!

·
Registered
125 Posts
"....then it's rod knock and should be covered under warranty....."
Your answer here sparked my curiosity. Are you saying that Nissan still warranties these engines; even from the 1990's?

My 1990 NA actually threw a rod. It's still parked in front of my house while I decide what to do.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.