ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I go buy a brand new unit, does anybody have a used one they want to sell? For all of you who already have one, after reading the manual, is it saying that the plug fires twice during four cycles, one on compression and one on exhaust? How does that work? I do not understand why that would be okay for the engine. Also, about the injection, do two injectors fire at the same time? This is very confusing to me, it seems very ineffiecient if what I understand is true. Does some have their wiring info, where things went, etc. If so, can you send it to me, either a drawing or just locations. If it is not a drawing, I will try to find the time to make it so, I a draftsman while going to school, it is very easy.
Thanks,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
650 Posts
another ? about TEC-II

everytime i hear about TEC-II its always in regards to fuel injected engines, so heres the question... does it work with carbed engines.. stop laughing... if i knew this i wouldnt ask =) and if it does is it worth the price?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: another ? about TEC-II

The TEC-II has both ignition and fuel injection drivers on it, that is why you hear so much about injection with it. Electromotive also offers the HPV models with only ignition that would work with the Carbs. It has three coils and all that good stuff except the injection. I do not have experience with either of these, but I do have a MSD 6al that when hooked up the spark is HUGE, but I have not driven with it yet, my battery was dead and that thing was taking so much energy that I guess the injection did not have enough power to run and get the car started. I have a new battery now, but have not had time to try it. My point is, I have heard very good things about the MSD also and if you want only ignition, it is a lot cheaper, also not programmable. It is probably a lot easier to setup, but you still have the distributor.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have a Tech II on my wrecked 240z, but will soon be building another one. The coils do fire the piston on the exhaust and compression stroke. The exhaust firing helps with the emissions burning up unspent gas. Now the injectors do batch fire or they can all be fired at once. I went with the simultaneous firing as my preference. It may have some advantages when you are going all out on the boost. All the injectors have a common ground and the injectors are paired. I think it is 1-6, 2-5, and 3-4 fired by coils A, C, B respectively. Does this answer your question?

> Before I go buy a brand new unit, does
> anybody have a used one they want to sell?
> For all of you who already have one, after
> reading the manual, is it saying that the
> plug fires twice during four cycles, one on
> compression and one on exhaust? How does
> that work? I do not understand why that
> would be okay for the engine. Also, about
> the injection, do two injectors fire at the
> same time? This is very confusing to me, it
> seems very ineffiecient if what I understand
> is true. Does some have their wiring info,
> where things went, etc. If so, can you send
> it to me, either a drawing or just
> locations. If it is not a drawing, I will
> try to find the time to make it so, I a
> draftsman while going to school, it is very
> easy.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay about the firing, I was just trying to make sense of it. The injectors though, if it batch fires, that means that you get fuel on the intake stroke of one piston and where on the other, the compression? Doesn't that mean there is fuel sitting there for a split second on the back of the valve? If you can clear this up for me I would appreciate it.
About your unit, how long have you had it, and in that time how much have you liked it? Any problems with it? Do you want to sell it? What software are you running? Thanks for the help.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Joshua,
The ZX is a batch fire anyway. That means all injectors fire at the same time. Each injector will fire a little at a time, so when the valve opens the proper fuel will be dumped in. Yeah, the fuel just hangs out around the valves until it opens, if you want to think about it that way. You can program the TEC to fire batch or alternating. How much have found the TEC for new? I have found it for $1,500. Includes all hardware and SuperB software.

> Okay about the firing, I was just trying to
> make sense of it. The injectors though, if
> it batch fires, that means that you get fuel
> on the intake stroke of one piston and where
> on the other, the compression? Doesn't that
> mean there is fuel sitting there
> for a split second on the back of the valve?
> If you can clear this up for me I would
> appreciate it.
> About your unit, how long have you had it,
> and in that time how much have you liked it?
> Any problems with it? Do you want to sell
> it? What software are you running? Thanks
> for the help.
> Joshua L.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I did not realize the zx is a batch fire as it was. I have found it for $1325 for the 6 cylinder kit, all sensors, etc, and then software. That is striaght from Electromotive. I am seriously considering buying one. I need to finish the engine first though, I want some good quality rings for it, a previous post. Thanks for the help,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Are you saying that $1325 includes the software or do you have to buy it, too? How much for the software?

LuZifer.

> Thanks, I did not realize the zx is a batch
> fire as it was. I have found it for $1325
> for the 6 cylinder kit, all sensors, etc,
> and then software. That is striaght from
> Electromotive. I am seriously considering
> buying one. I need to finish the engine
> first though, I want some good quality rings
> for it, a previous post. Thanks for the
> help,
> Joshua L.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I finally found the price sheet, I said 1325, it is really 1350 plus software, anywhere from 200 for super II to 595 for PAF*blend. The super B*II software is 495, so you have found a better deal. Where is that from? Also, if anybody else knows how much work it is to bolt the trigger to the balancer, please let me know. What size of trigger, what modifications where done, etc. I can drill and tap, is that how it is attatched? Thanks,
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I've noticed that the trigger wheel assembly and sensor was one of the biggest problems I had. As stated in the manual, the gap has to be extremely accurate. I have the distributor trigger wheel and had a lot of problems with it at first. I'm probably going to get the one that bolts right on to the crank. From what I here, TopEnd Performance makes a direct bolt on wheel. I'd definetly advise that you get your TPS sensor from them. I got one from Electromotive and made some weird bracket to hold it on. TEP makes a TPS that fits really well on the throttle body shaft. You'll still have to get a piece of sheet metal or something to mount it, but it's not that bad. Good luck !!! Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.