ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read AZ's Dyno results on K&N and Team Green and his conclusion is that the " Team Green is more than sufficient for stock application".
He also states that the Team Green filter is cheaper that the generic K&N cone filter". He also states that "your choking your engine of air by using the stock configuration".
My question to you guys is that I noticed on this site that the majority of you run K&N and I am wondering why? Opinions please?
I am presently using the stock( rectangular filter in the stock air box) K&N but I am thinking about switching over to the cone style and I am having some controversy on which way to go. I want to go whats best for my Z.
Thanks

Post Edited (Aug 19, 1:14pm)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If you still have the "closed in" air filter box then it is definitley worth the switch.

For someone who already has a K&N cone air filter there isn't much point in swapping it out for a Team Green unless you are running high horsepower numbers as the difference is a few HP at best.

If you don't have a cone filter and are in the market for one it would be worth choosing the Team Green over the K&N as AZ_ZBUM suggests. It is cheaper and the tests suggest it is more efficient as well.

Most of us out there have K&N air filters because we bought them before we had heard of the Team Green alternative. K&N is kind of the "mainstream" choice.

I would definitely go for the cone filter and get rid of the resonator (black) box to the right of it. Replace it with a straight piece of pipe and you will have a little bit more intake growl (sounds nice :) ).

Hopefully that helps!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stu,
I read on here about people using a piece of stainlesss steel pipe. where do you find something like that?

·
Registered
12,935 Posts
muffler shop, they will need to expand one side slightly, to be honest I wouldnt use the pipe, its pointless, just use the stock resonator. be aware that with the stock fan shroud in place the 9" cone doenst fit perfectly, it gets compressed by the hood. You can purchase the FIPK cone (which fixes this) for roughly the same price. I forget the PNs on the FIPK cone. Such a pity you wont be taking advantage of that fresh air screen behind the passenger headlight your 88 has. For a stock application the stock box is perfectly fine, it only limits you by a few HP.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Red's right about where you can get the stainless steel pipe mentioned. I disagree regarding the resonator box however - I noticed an intake sound difference (it got louder of course) after I replaced the resonator with the stainless steel pipe.

If nothing else - it looks better then the resonator box. Red knows his stuff though, maybe I'm just imaging things. The sound of the intake as you rev higher does sound louder (better) as far as I can tell however.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red,
I had read before on here what you stated above that "the stock box is perfectly fine" I think thats one reason went with the regular rectangular filter in the first place. I dont really care about the little bit more of HP I'd get with the cone filter anyway. I do not race or drag, just like to drive it thats all.
I think I will leave well enough alone and stay with what I have, I just like to have a stock car basically. dont really need a lot of mods for looks or performance.
Hey! I am an old geezer, I dont need that stuff, although my foot does have a tendency to get a little heavy knowing that Turbo is under the hood and I become 20 again when I get behind the wheel Ha! :)
I thank you all for the information you have provided.

·
Registered
248 Posts
most people had the K&N before the Team Green stuff came around..noone in the world could possibly notice a difference between the team green filter and the K&N, so if that is your concern, just do whatever is cheaper than.. and just ditch the resonator box, **** that thing..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.