ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a piston slapping make about the same noise as an improperly adjusted valve?
I just adjusted the valves with the cover off and for the life of me, I cannot pinpoint this noise. What are some other possibilities?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
improperly adj. valve makes a ticking or tapping realy fast. Piston makes a loud noise. If you have fuel injection then its prolly your injectors. Hold the sharp end of the screwdriver to the injector and stick your ear on the end of the handle, you will hear them

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
"I just adjusted the valves with the cover off and for the life of me"

If you can adjust them with the cover on you have some awsome powers man!...hehe

What kind of car is it? You could be hearing the fuel injectors. Also the valves are supposed to make a little bit of noise. Is this sound you hear comming from one little area or does it sound like the entire engine? Get a screw driver and put the handle at your ear then touch the other end to various parts of the engine to pinpoint the noise.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
A gentle tapping, a tapping above your chambered bore?
Re-check the valves and the tapping will be nevermore.
-mark

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
that is the Raven, writen by Edgar Allen Poe in 1876 right before his death. His death was believed to be caused by politicians, who dressed him up, got him drunk, and took him to different polls to cast a vote for them. he was found passed out and dead on the side of the road in 1879. his mother died of TB, as well as his gf, and wife...before that he fell in love with a really young girl when he was like 25, she was i think 13....

ok im done with the Lit lesson today...those dates are probbaly wrong, just a gustimate.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
Stock Injectors "tick" is very loud. I replaced a friends injectors with new GP Sorenson injectors and I could barely hear the injectors.

If you have valve slap or other lower end problems, you can pull plugs one at a time while idling to see if tapping is associated with a cylinder.

I believe slapping gets quieter as car warms up.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Piston slap can get quieter as the piston expands as it heats up. To diagnose properly we must distinguish between ticks, tacks, and knocks and as has been stated using a listening devise to identify the source.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
No, that was me. Poe was a crappy mechanic.

Usually it's the valve clearances. Could be timing chain guide comming loose, a rod bearing that's gone, stuck injector, etc. Try the valves again since it's the easiest to check.
-mark

Post Edited (Oct 8, 12:42pm)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.