ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just replaced my tank sending unit, and I don't know if I have it installed correctly. It seems to only work from half tank to full tank. I think I may have it positioned wrong inside the tank. Which way is the float supposed to swing? Sideways? toward the front of the car? I believe it is hanging on some part of the tank and now allowing the float to move past the halfway point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Even if you could tell me which way the 2 wires on the top are supposed to be facing (2 o'clock, 5 o'clock etc)

Many tanks (he he) in advance

Tim McGovern
White 78 280
Atlanta, Ga
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
> Hi all,
> I just replaced my tank sending unit, and I
> don't know if I have it installed correctly.
> It seems to only work from half tank to full
> tank. I think I may have it positioned wrong
> inside the tank. Which way is the float
> supposed to swing? Sideways? toward the
> front of the car? I believe it is hanging on
> some part of the tank and now allowing the
> float to move past the halfway point. Any
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> Even if you could tell me which way the 2
> wires on the top are supposed to be facing
> (2 o'clock, 5 o'clock etc)

> Many tanks (he he) in advance

> Tim McGovern
> White 78 280
> Atlanta, Ga

Tim -

I'm not sure about a 280, but on my 240 the sender has a notch at the 3 oclock position that mates with a bump in the tank opening (i.e. it can only seat properly one way). In that orientation, the wires are about 1 oclock (white) and 5 oclock (black). The float moves up and down (not sidways). Just to check things out before you install, try swinging the float all the way in one direction and watch the fuel gauge (wires connected) then swing the float in the other direction. The guage should also move from full to empty. If no notch is available to align the sender, then make sure that you install it so that the gauge reads full when the float is up and empty when down.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Tim -

> I'm not sure about a 280, but on my 240 the
> sender has a notch at the 3 oclock position
> that mates with a bump in the tank opening
> (i.e. it can only seat properly one way). In
> that orientation, the wires are about 1
> oclock (white) and 5 oclock (black). The
> float moves up and down (not sidways). Just
> to check things out before you install, try
> swinging the float all the way in one
> direction and watch the fuel gauge (wires
> connected) then swing the float in the other
> direction. The guage should also move from
> full to empty. If no
> notch is available to align the sender, then
> make sure that you install it so that the
> gauge reads full when the float
> is up and empty when down.

> Steve

Steve - tanks for the advice - I realize the float goes up and down, but it does swing on an arm and it has to swing one way or another, be it toward the front of the car or toward the side of the car when it is in the tank. I will look for the notch at 3o'clock and see if it exists. I can't imagine that if they were not lined up that I could get the retainer over the top of the sending unit that holds it to the tank. I guess a certain degree of force will fix anything huh??

Thanks again

Tim McGovern
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Steve - tanks for the advice - I realize the
> float goes up and down, but it does swing on
> an arm and it has to swing one way or
> another, be it toward the front of the car
> or toward the side of the car when it is in
> the tank. I will look for the notch at
> 3o'clock and see if it exists. I can't
> imagine that if they were not lined up that
> I could get the retainer over the top of the
> sending unit that holds it to the tank. I
> guess a certain degree of force will fix
> anything huh??

> Thanks again

> Tim McGovern

I just did this 2 days ago... hmmm lets see if I can remember what I did. The float aims towards the steering wheel. Mine wasn't working at all so I took it apart, scotchbrighted the resistance assembly, sanded the sliding contacts and it still didn't read. It ended up being the yellow wire without the stripe was not making contact inside of hard rubber housing. I took this apart and crimped the wire harder onto the connector and then used solvent proof sealant over the top of it. Saved myself some $$$ and a trip to the dealer.

Steve G
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top