ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with the performance head machine guy today and have got some good ideas on a game plan but I have a few questions for you guys.If I have the head ported considerably will Ihave to hone the intake to match?Is extrude honing and porting a synonym for the same type of work?Also he recommended Ferrea valves and stiffer springs to accomadate higher boost pressures.I want to also oversize the exhaust valves to 38mm;will this make for considerably more flow?This is a p90 head and I really want to make it breath!Any comments Guru's...

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Extrude Honing

By itself is a good start, but does not accomplish what a true artist with a die grinder can...

Good start, but if you are getting it ported, ask your head man about finishing the head/intake/exhaust when he's all done. Sending in the manifolds and having them match-ported by the extrude hone is pretty cool.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Extrude Honing&O-ringing

That's kinda of what I was thinking that way there's a smooth transition and very little negative turbulence.Do you think the Ferrea valves are worth it,I really want this head to hold up.He quoted a ballpark figure on O-ringing the head for a little over a hundred bones;Is that reasonable in your opinion????

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
I'd do the block!

No WAY I'd O-ring the head!
I think Velios charged 20-30$ a hole to O-Ring the block, so that's in the area.
I'd prefer to O-ring the block as opposed to the head, as IF you ever have to skin the head to true it, your O-Rings will have to be recut. How many times have you had to true the block after initial blueprinting?
Stainless valves are good for turbo applications. Ferrea makes good stuff.
Either way, I'd most definately go for the O-Rings.

I install mine with ketchup...
;-b

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
News to Me:O-ringing the block

I wasn't aware that could be done as I have limited forced induction engine building expierence,mostly Toyota 22r's stroked with dual mikuni's.They were alot of fun but seriously it's time to move on to GREENER pastures and there's no GREEN like a T3/T4 Super V with much boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
4,034 Posts
work the pocket area of your head. That will give you more air into the chamber. polished valves are great. I don't know about the HP gain from it. i don't know it's a good idea to just change the exhaust valves. That might change the flow of your head wierd.

· Registered
433 Posts
O-ringing?

what in the world in O-ringing and what gaines do you get from it?

Mike

· Registered
567 Posts
Re: Extrude Honing&O-ringing

This is all kind of a moot point if your "Headmaster" doesn't really know Z's. Lots of people claim to know head porting. Who is it? What are the other specifics of the application- block work, cam, induction, exhaust etc.? What are your goals and how is the car used?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re:attn.Katman

I don't really know how much experience this guy at the performance machine shop has with p90's but he was going to benchflow test it to see how much it can flow after the porting work.Do you think I would be better off going with someone like Sunbelt out of Atlanta,he's reportadly very good with L-28's.I don't want my good turbo head to get mangled up by a madman with a die grinder.My goal is at least 400RWH for road racing.I'm going with a Turbonetics T3/T4E hybrid Super V with ceramic ball bearing,air/water intercooling,Haltech(if I can afford it)or SDS,forged 89mm pistons;balanced crankshaft,rods,and pistons.ARP throughout the motor.I want this motor to be able to take at least 20lbs of boost and stay together.Any info. you have wich would be beneficial or what has worked well for you I'm always open for suggestions.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Positive Seal

There are several types of O-Rings. What it does, in a general sort of way, is make a copper ring around the top of your cylinder. This little copper wire sticks up just a LITTLE bit above the deck of the block.
Now, depending on how you do it, this ring seals your combustion chamber by making contact with the head. Metal-to-Metal clamped down with such a small crosss-section of area in contact with the head, the contact pressure is enormous. Basically you make the block and head as one.
Some other methods let you use the standard headgasket on top, and the aame effect is achieved, with the O-Ring biting into the sealing ring of the head-gasket and clinching it tightly between the head and hte block.
Either way, when you run high BMEP in an engine, the head gasket likes to not hold in all the combustion gasses. If you detonate, the head gasket will blow and away goes your coolant, and whatever else necessary....
Basically the advantages is that you don't blow your head gasket every six months from ruunning high-boost, high-HP through a block designed to live at much lower stresses.

· Registered
567 Posts

Yeah, I'd have Sunbelt do the whole thing. They have tons of experience with turbo Z engines, and can tell you exactly what will pay dividends in the head department. You from the Atlanta area?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

No,actually I'm from Jacksonville,FL so it's not like it's that far away,besides the gas money or shipping is a small price to pay for someone who knows what there doing vs. the unknown.I just wonder what kinda prices they charge;guess I'll have to give them a ring!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.