ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tailights in my '74 260z keep shorting out. When this happens it burns up my multi-function switch which is a pain to replace. I have tried everything I can think off. It is an intermittent short. It will burn up several switches then go away for months. It is really driving me crazy. This last switch caused all kinds of things to happen. The windshield washers went on,(never worked before) then wouldn't shut off, the windshield wipers went on, then off, then on, then off, ad nauseum, a buzzer started over by the fuse box...auggghhhh. Now the wipers work in one place only and the lights still are heating up.

'74 260z Headache
'74 B210 in pieces
'86 Firebird, (wife had to have it)

·
Registered
193 Posts
i would replace the wires to the tail lights they run up the back little wall to the hatch then under it to the rear end jsut replace em to be safe. also ya might wanna replace your light/wiper switch i had poroblems with high beams on mine rewired it but no luck had to grab one from junk yard.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Most cars have electircal plugs arranged in such a way that, when an average Joe plugs things together, he doesn't get it wrong. Not so on the 260. Sounds like you've got two electrical plugs plugged together that shouldn't be. Had the console out? That's a good place to start looking.......

·
Registered
244 Posts
This is a common problem with Z cars

the corner marker lights become so corroded over time that the power wire shorts to the chassis and so every time you turn your lights on you run all this current through the small wires which turns them into resistors that heat up, melt the insulation around the wires in your harness and then you have a real mess.....

the 240 is easy to spot because the middle right side fuse on the fuse box is usually melted.....but I don't know on the 260......

so assuming you have not done any wiring "upgrades" that could be causing the problem...(like rewiring the light/wiper combo switch incorrectly)

first,

make sure your light switch and wiper switches are in the OFF position, remove the Negative wire from your battery.

remove all your exterior lights bulbs (and unplug your headlights)

check for continuity (ring the wires out) between the positive contact on each bulb socket and the chassis...

if you find shorts, write down which lights shorted

then unplug the wire harness on the passenger side going to the lights that were shorted... front or rear or both. (this is a pain, I know) then repeat the continuity check at all the lights that were shorted before. if they are still shorted, you have bad wires in the harness between the plug and the light, if the short is gone, then you have bad wires in the harness behind the dash....

usually the harness behind the dash is the one that gets damaged....so this is probably the case and you check for melted wires on the harness specifically on the wires going to the steering column switches

I'd bet money that if you start unwrapping the tape, you will find wires melted together that are causing your problems

I hope this was clear enough.....

good luck,

Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.