ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was coming back from George Town up in the hills when my engine quit.
I was going downhill so I coasted for 2 miles until I got to the Chili Bar parking
lot .I didn't even know the engine had stalled until I happened to look at the tac &
it was reading "o" and I was doing 40 to 45 mph .Is it true that if the tac drops
like a rock to Zero while the engine is still turning over and the ignition is still
on , that that means your ignition module is going bad .This isn't the first time
that I've had a problem with my '76 280-Z ,it's been stalling while driving and not
starting at times [ after driving some where then stopping and then trying to
restarting ] for years now .I don't drive it that much and I've though that I'd
fixed it several times when it didn't act up for any length of time ,only to have
it fool me again and there I'd be walking along the hi way once more .

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Some options. Ignition module, module connections, connections at coil, coil itself, pickup or reluctor in the distributor, or the connections to the advance/retard pickup and associated switches.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'd guess to narrow it down to just the distributor pickups (its a dual unit), or the Transistor Ignition Unit (mounted above the fuse box).

ConorP

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mine does the same thing plus more on my stock 260. With the switch off, it will be on "0" and when I turn the switch on, even without turning the engine over, it will go all the way to the maximum RPM. Some times, it will dance and read inaccurately. I bought a new coil, checked, cleaned and tightened all nuts on the coil and ballast, but to no avail. Do you think I may have one or some of the problems listed above? I have an ignition module from an early Z wrecking yard. Is there a right and wrong one for certain years of early Zs? Ernest (240/260Z)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.