ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen a TA-49 turbo...just wondering if anyone knows if it will fit, and is it any better than the stock T3 unit on the 280zxt motor. Also I am courious about the intercooler on the grandnational...is it any better that a starion and would it be a worthwhile effort to put it on a Z.

Thanks
Lloyd "Ewan" Tillman

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Dont even know what turbo is from but chances are you might have the modifiy the exhaust manifold flange, the downpipe flange and the original J pipe might not fit exactly right. Seems better to modifiy the T3 or find a T3/T4.

Regarding the GN I/C, dont know how they compare on efficiency, but ponder this. The Starion is a low-tech, low-boost 2.6L engine putting out about 160hp. The GN is 3.8L putting out about 255hp. I saw one in a Z at the track and it is an odd looking beast requiring a little more elaborate plumbing. If I recall, the inlet and outlet were different sizes and seemed to be about 2.5-3" in size. If you have it or its super cheap, use it but the plumbing might cost you more. Lots of turbo Zs out there using the Starion with more than stock HP. Either its good enough or its the best inexpensive alternative.

Scottie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The turbo unit is out of a Grandnational. By the way..you dont have access to another intercooler like yours do you. If so..or you know where I can get one from Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I dont have access to another one and have not gone searching for one. I believe someone made a post a few weeks back that they knew of a boneyard that had several available. Dont remember if a price was mentioned but if that person could respond, maybe a group purchase could be arranged to help with the price.

Considering the vehicle these come from, I have heard horror stories about the devious means that people come by these I/Cs. I will not discuss that here but I am sure you can imagine.

Scottie

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The GN turbos won't fit on the z's. Gns use three bolt round flanges at the turbo inlet instead of the Nissan four bolt "square" flange. Even a stock GN turbo is alot bigger than a stock Z's. A common upgrade is to use the compressor side of the GN with the z's exhaust side. Machining is required, so it's the same as upgrading your turbo. I have a couple of GN intercoolers laying around if you want to try one. The inlet is 2 inch and the outlet is 2.5. The inlet is at 90 degrees to the face of the intercooler, so you would probably want to change it anyway. Core size is 10 X 12 X 3. For what it's worth there are 3500 pound GN's running 11 second quarters with the stock intercooler. Should be good for your z. I wouldn't get too caught up on getting a really big intercooler. If you are not pushing enough air the big intercooler is only going to hurt you. You run into problems with bad response, turbo surging, etc. Last I talked to you you weee sticking with a stock turbo. A starion unit will serve your needs very well. Easier to plumb without having to relocate inlets/outlets. Starion units go for about $100, Gn units for $150.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greg

Greg

Thanks for the response. I just saw that someone was selling a stock GN Turbo for $200 and...well...the wheels started turning. I have since decided (since I last talked to you) that I am either going to have the stock turbo upgraded or replace it with a t3/t4 unit. I would like to try the GN Intercooler if you have one, I have called several J/Y's (30 or so)and no one has a starion intercooler. Changing the angle of the inlet should not be a problem..kinda the same issue as Scottie had to do. Let me know about the GN Cooler.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Greg

Come get it. I also have a stock GN turbo laying around. Really I have two of each. The TA49 is a bigger turbo than the stock GN. The GN turbo is still way bigger than a stock Nissan unit, though. be careful on all the upgrades. like you I was going to go with a straight stock turbo swap and upgrade in stages. One thing led to another, and two years later I still have a work in progress. I should have my new intake in tomorrow. I actually have a tracking number for it, so it really is in transit.I should also be dropping the new motor and tranny in the GN this weekend. Give me a call and come by the shop and see the stuff first hand.
greg
71 240z

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.