ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 81 na and an 81 turbo. I am currently in the middle of an engine swap. I am putting the turbo in the na. My na has a 5spd trans. All 81 turbos had automatic transmissions. I was wondering if I should just rebuild my transmission or if I should look for a t5 to swap in.
thanks
-C. Wade

·
Registered
238 Posts
2 Cents Worth

I'd suggest you find someone that has a T5 on their turbo and go for a spin. The T5 shifting isn't as smooth as your na 5 speed, but it is enjoyable and stronger then the NA 5 speed.

If it was my car... I would do it. Go for it... driving a sports car with an automatic isn't as much fun.... unless your terrible at driving a stick.

Just my 2 cents worth....

D-

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well, as far as i know turbo cars are faster with auto tranny,the reason is that during shifting gears RPM in auto drops less then in standart transmission.If you look for 280zxt performance date you will find that auto is faster,so this is true.
Now you can leave your turbo auto tranny,but you should swap rear end and CV joints too,or you can leave original 5spd in your n/a you will be just fine,i'd update differential with R200 4.11 though.Car will be faster and still get low RPM on freeway.I'd update to Cv joints in anyway,no matter what tranny you will be using.
So it's up to you what you will put.Just remeber that it's a good time to rebuild tranny if there are any problems.Just my .02

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Another .02 worth.

If you put either 5 speed on your turbo engine do not forget to install a new pilot Bering in the turbo crankshaft.

If you can find a ZX 2+2 5 speed (79 - 83), or if you do get the T5, get the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Have the flywheel resurfaced and lightened by about 8 pounds. The lighter flywheel will help the engine rev quicker keeping the turbo happier.

If you get the T5 get the drive shaft also.

You should also consider swapping the differential unless the 81 N/A already has a R200, 3.9:1 in it.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
i'd take fun over speed

Yeah the autos are *slightly* faster. But if you are real good with a stick, you shouldnt have much of a problem. If you are one of those people who takes a few seconds to shift, then you will lose time, I can shift quite quickly, so I would go with a 5 speed, plus the 5 speeds are more fun!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Re: i'd take fun over speed

Your stock 5 speed will work fine. Mine has seen 350+ hp with no ill effects. I talked to Nissan Motorsprots about the trannys, they said that their 280zx turbo race cars (driven by Paul Newman) actually ran the Nissan tranny, not the T5. They said the tranny can handle up to 700hp. What breaks them is being jerked around. Besides the Nissan trannys are a dime a dozen, T5s are quite expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.