ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to a have a few of the stock t3's from 280ZXT's laying around and I traded one to a friend of mine for a V-1 trim T04. I have already assembled one of the T3 turbines w/the V-1 T04 and it all goes together nicely. My question is does anyone know how much hp this concoction will be good for? I am going to put it in my car which already has a 3.1L turbo motor with the stock turbo. The motor isn't all that radical aside from the displacement. I am also running the stock 280ZXT fuel injection system w/Ford Motorsport 30#/hr injectors in a custom rail. If anyone could tell me the hp potential of the turbo I built, I would appreciate it. BTW, I am using the stock 280ZXT turbine wheel and housing. I guess that that is a standard trim. I hate to ramble but also, would I be better off with a larger turbine wheel and housing? I noticed in the Turbonetics catalog that there are stage II and III turbines for T3's. Should I just forget it and pay them to build me a turbo? I am working on a very limited budget at this time and keep in mind that the hybrid I built didn't cost me anything. Sorry about the rambling and thanks in advance!!!

Ian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Good Question..

Ian,

I am by no means a turbo expert, but if you have not looked at the Ray Hall turbo page, take a peek at
http://www.turbofast.com.au/nissan.html

Many of the calculation programs are very helpfull. I would guess the you should be able to hit the 350 to 400 hp range pretty easily with that set up. If you haven't already ported the turbine housing, I think that would help.

I wouldn't hesitate to try it especially for the price.

Let us know how it works.

Rod

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Try the combo you have</b>

The price is definatley right I would recommend having the cartrige dynamicallicy balanced by a turbo shop . You should have enough air for about 265 at the wheels. The stock T3 turbine is definatley your restriction . I do however worry a bit about your compression of the 3.1l motor make sure you keep timing and detonation under control . But this sounds like a good street application . A guy named BOOST runs a V1 at 12.5 sec in 1/4 mile . You will be astonished by the power of this setup at least for a while anyways .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: T3/T4 HYBRID TURBO QUESTION...LONG</b>

My friend did the same thing you did by taking the stock t3 and putting a new compressor wheel and housing to make it a t3/4. We went around town where we live to a couple of turbo diesel places and we talked to turbo city(where he bought the parts from) and asked them how much HP this setup would make and if we should stay with the sock .63 AR housing. They all said the turbo should make 450-500HP, depending on what you have done to the engine. i.e. forged pistons. They also recommended sticking with the .63AR turbine housing with the stock wheel. Espiecially if the car is running low compression. Both my friend and I put the 2mm metal head gaskets in our cars which already lowers the compression from the stock 7.4-1. So if we were to upgrade the turbine wheel the turbo would spool up a lot slower and we'd get more lag. Now, we just took his car to the track last weekend and it blasted to a 13.0 at 111mph at 10.5psi. He was going to turn up the boost, but the intake/exhaust manifold gasket blew cutting our weekend short. The program he's got in his car now alows him to turn the boost up to 24. I would call up tubocity and ask them what your turbo should do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well, let's see how HP you can get. The injector size says 30*.8*2*6=288 HP. The stock computer is limited to about 270 HP, due to the fact it can not compensate for the excess fuel above that limit. You might have to use a 300ZX computer to get more power out of the engine or an aftermarket fuel/ignition controller. Remember the computer still thinks you have the original injectors in there so the ECU reads the amount of air going in and coputes how much fuel to dump in using the original injectors, but since you have larger injectors more fuel is getting in there than the ECU realizes. Atleast you are running rich instead of lean. I would use the turbo you have and think about getting a 300ZX ECU. You would probably get about 275 to 300 hp.

later,
LuZZifer
'83 turbo project
'87 turbo

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: T3/T4 HYBRID TURBO QUESTION...LONG</b>

I wouldn't run that turbo you put together without having it balanced. Those things spin in excess of 80K rpm. They must be balanced. Since you have a 3.1 L, you will definetly want to go with the stage III turbine wheel and keep the compressor side with the V-1. Have someone do it, if your turbo ***** up you will spend more money in the long run. Do it right from the get-go.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
240Z Turbo wrote:
-------------------------------
I wouldn't run that turbo you put together without having it balanced. Those things spin in excess of 80K rpm. They must be balanced. Since you have a 3.1 L, you will definetly want to go with the stage III turbine wheel and keep the compressor side with the V-1. Have someone do it, if your turbo ***** up you will spend more money in the long run. Do it right from the get-go.

I think he is putting the center section and compressor side into a stock z exhaust housing. Therefore no balancing required if you are not swapping wheels from one turbo to the other. Don't know how good this will work or what it does to A/R ratios. I did try to assemble a hybrid like that using a GN compressor and center section with a stock nissan exhaust housing. Everything looked good, except for a slight rubbing of the exhaust wheel on the turbine housing. I couldn't tell if it was just rubbing on the carbon buildup or whether it was hitting the housing. I was just doing it for kicks, anybody want to dontae their motor and we will try it out.
greg
71 240z

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.