ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be replacing the turbo on my 83ZX soon and wondered if a T03/T04 hybrid unit will require any other mods to bolt in and operate with stock hardware and electronics. I will be trying to stay under 13 psi. Will the upgrade even be needed? Also, what are these suffixes I see guys attaching to the T03/T04? As in T03/T04E. Does this have to do with one of the housings or compressor?
Thanks in advance?
Ope

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The E and B are the compressor housing styles and dictate the types of compressor wheels that can be used. If you want to just bolt on a t3/t4 hybrid, you will need to use the T04B on the compressor side. From my experience in running the stage 3 turbine wheel and turbine housing, this required some mods to be made.
1) The stock downpipe could no longer be used so I built a custom 3 mandrel bent downpipe. The stage 3 turbine housing had a different backplate and bolt configuration than the stock backplate.
2) The oil return hose no longer lined up and I had to make mods for it to work. Very simple.

Another option is to keep the complete t3 setup and go with a bigger compressor wheel. You can squeeze 300+hp from this setup.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> The E and B are the compressor housing
> styles and dictate the types of compressor
> wheels that can be used. If you want to just
> bolt on a t3/t4 hybrid, you will need to use
> the T04B on the compressor side. From my
> experience in running the stage 3 turbine
> wheel and turbine housing, this required
> some mods to be made.
> 1) The stock downpipe could no longer be
> used so I built a custom 3 mandrel
> bent downpipe. The stage 3 turbine housing
> had a different backplate and bolt
> configuration than the stock backplate.
> 2) The oil return hose no longer lined up
> and I had to make mods for it to work. Very
> simple.

> Another option is to keep the complete t3
> setup and go with a bigger compressor wheel.
> You can squeeze 300+hp from this setup.
There are T3 w/ T4 comp wheels capable of 400plus HP and they bolt right on

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I do not doubt that 400hp can be extracted from a highly modified t3 turbo. Stage 5 turbine, something bigger than a .81 a/r housing and something bigger than the t3 super-60 compressor wheel. The turbo may bolt on, but the mods to the turbo are not bolt on. Extensive machining to the compressor housing have to be made. It is not an effecient and economical means of obtaining the hp levels desired. Not to mention the boost levels required to produce such hp. I would think in excess of 30psi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.