ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my driver side T Top never locked into the A and B pillars, and earlier today I drove on the highway and it fell off, shattered in a ditch.

I need to know where I can find a used T Top for my driver side, I looked on eBay and it looks like it’s only seals.

And my Z is a 2 seater, not a 2+2

Thank you all

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
can't help ya brother. not unless you specify what Z you have. either an S130 (280zx), Z31 (300zx) or Z32 (300zx)

if you have a Z31, then go here: www.300zxpartsforyou.com

he has what you need. if you a zx, then ebay is probably your best shot

Bon

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sorry, I should have specified that.
It's a 87 z31. Ill use the link you provided, thank you
yeah no worries dude. give Steve a call, he's got t-tops and ttop parts. i get stuff from him all the time. he's your best used part resource for the 300zx.

cheers

bon

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
in AZ a pair of T-Tops, fit 82-89 Maroon

unless its a type-o and you meant 84, t-tops from an 82 will not fit on a Z31.
also be advised that there is a difference between coupe and 2+2 models. the t-tops are bigger (in length) so make sure you get a set for the coupe if yours is a coupe, or get a 2+2 if yours is a 4 seater.

Bon

·
Registered
44 Posts
unless its a type-o and you meant 84, t-tops from an 82 will not fit on a Z31.
also be advised that there is a difference between coupe and 2+2 models. the t-tops are bigger (in length) so make sure you get a set for the coupe if yours is a coupe, or get a 2+2 if yours is a 4 seater.

Bon

woah hold up....the 2+2 models have actual different dimensions for the ttops than the 2 seater?! I have 3 z31s but they are all 2 seaters, I had no idea the actual body of the car differed from the two models. that is cray cray! I am parting out my 84 ae, I wonder if I should sell those silver babies or put them on my 86. either way I'd have an extra set. Too bad the AE ttops don't lock :(

also, in addition to your comment on the 82 ttops not fitting, the 83 wont fit either, right?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
that's right my friend. they are just a bit longer, so when it comes to them, the shades, the handle trim cover, even doors and the door panels... they are all longer on the 2+2. the hatch and window is also different... you can't swap the hatch on a 2+2 with one from a coupe. the glass is smaller also, so even putting on a rear louver can be a problem if you don't know if its for a coupe or 4 seater. the car itself is a bit longer too in order to house the back seat. everything else on the car is pretty much interchangeable.

keep your mirrored tops because they only came on the 84 AE and are getting harder to come by. don't worry about not having the locks. you can get an aftermarket lock set for the tops if you want to add theft protection... in fact, i have a set on my 280zx t-tops. speaking of the 280zx, no t-top from a 280zx 1980-1983 will fit on an 84-89 Z31. they are different. they also differed when it came to the coupe and 2+2 models, like the Z31.

what parts are you offering from the 84? i am in need of a good set of mirror gasket/seal/rubber parts... they prevent air and water from entering the cab where the mirror housing meets the door. could also use some side window louvers if you have any. also, there are two rubber grommet supports on the inside of the fuel door.
and last but not least, the hood washer nozzils. someone stole the ones off of my 87.... yup, someone actually took them.:frown

Bon

·
Registered
44 Posts
that's right my friend. they are just a bit longer, so when it comes to them, the shades, the handle trim cover, even doors and the door panels... they are all longer on the 2+2. the hatch and window is also different... you can't swap the hatch on a 2+2 with one from a coupe. the glass is smaller also, so even putting on a rear louver can be a problem if you don't know if its for a coupe or 4 seater. the car itself is a bit longer too in order to house the back seat. everything else on the car is pretty much interchangeable.

keep your mirrored tops because they only came on the 84 AE and are getting harder to come by. don't worry about not having the locks. you can get an aftermarket lock set for the tops if you want to add theft protection... in fact, i have a set on my 280zx t-tops. speaking of the 280zx, no t-top from a 280zx 1980-1983 will fit on an 84-89 Z31. they are different. they also differed when it came to the coupe and 2+2 models, like the Z31.

what parts are you offering from the 84? i am in need of a good set of mirror gasket/seal/rubber parts... they prevent air and water from entering the cab where the mirror housing meets the door. could also use some side window louvers if you have any. also, there are two rubber grommet supports on the inside of the fuel door.
and last but not least, the hood washer nozzils. someone stole the ones off of my 87.... yup, someone actually took them.:frown

Bon

I did put the car up for sale in the for sale section if you want to take a look. I haven't posted many pics but I can get pics of whatever you want. If there is enough interest in parts, I will part it out instead of selling. It's worth more that way to me anyways. I have side louvers but no rear louver. I honestly think I want to keep them, and find a rear and place them on my 86 turbo. What do they go for? I guess I would consider selling them if the price is right...

I'm sure the seals you are looking for are intact, I can look. yea I have the window spray nozzles. They just pop off? weird someone would steal them... I can check condition of the fuel door thing for you.

do you have link to aftermarket locks for the AE tops? or a pic? I may consider that.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I did put the car up for sale in the for sale section if you want to take a look. I haven't posted many pics but I can get pics of whatever you want. If there is enough interest in parts, I will part it out instead of selling. It's worth more that way to me anyways. I have side louvers but no rear louver. I honestly think I want to keep them, and find a rear and place them on my 86 turbo. What do they go for? I guess I would consider selling them if the price is right...
louvers a bit expensive, over hundred bucks for a set of the newer ABS plastic ones. are yours original? aluminum or are they plastic?
if you find a rear, hold on to it. they are becoming hard to find too. I got one for my AE... going to paint to match with the car.

I'm sure the seals you are looking for are intact, I can look. yea I have the window spray nozzles. They just pop off? weird someone would steal them... I can check condition of the fuel door thing for you.
the mirror seals come in four pieces... (outer triangle cover, upper rear seal, inner triangle seal, and the flat rubber gasket seal)
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/1987-nissan-300zx/front-door-trimming.html?Diagram=809_A01
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/1987-nissan-300zx/front-door-panel-fitting.html?Diagram=800_A01

don't worry about the nozzles... they are different on the 84 and the 87, and NPD has them avail for just a few bucks..
no worries on the fuel door bumpers (2) NPD has them available believe it or not. but if yours are still intact, they would be great for spares.
you should check your 86 and see if yours are gone. my car was impounded because it was dirty (crazy dumb law out here) and when I got it back, the spray nozzles were missing :|

do you have link to aftermarket locks for the AE tops? or a pic? I may consider that.
here you go:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-NISSAN-1978-1989-T-TOP-LOCKS-NEW/292570561346?fits=Model:300ZX&hash=item441e907b42:g:2HAAAOSwRH9Zdjbw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-300zx-Z31-1984-1986-T-Top-Lock/163052779391?hash=item25f6b3f77f:g:n2MAAOSwX3FaJySd

Bon

Attachments

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Louvers are aluminum.

Thanks for the link, I bought those locks lol.

I can look at the seals later this week, busy till Thursday and I will let you know!

okay sounds good. let me know.
enjoy those locks! kind of expensive but well worth it. I have the same exact set on my 280zx :angel

so, what are you going to do with the louvers? if you don't plan on keeping them, I'd gladly take them off your hands.
do they have attachment brackets?

Bon

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've decided to keep them. I ordered the rear piece from ebay for 200 and it comes with the mounting hardware, not sure about the side ones. Honestly I was thinking they are glued on but ill have to double check

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
if you have a metal set, keep them because those are probably original and are rare. most of the aftermarket ones are ABS plastic and are big and stick out a bit (though still nice to have) but the metal ones seem to have a lower profile and look better in my opinion. i wouldn't recommend sealing them or gluing them on as you won't be able to remove them. the aftermarket ones usually come with mounting hardware. the ones on my 87 have metal pieces that attach to the glass via 3M tape and have screw caps that you simply unscrew to remove the louver. make sure to seal the metal tabs with clear silicon to keep the elements out, otherwise they could come off over time.
you could fabricate mounts like this and drill 4 screw holes in your metal louvers if you want to be able to remove them.

i think i saw that rear louver on ebay. you got a good deal because some of them go for 400 and up.
i am going to order some side louvers for my 84 and then have them and my rear louver painted to match the AE's paint scheme :grin gotta preserve the near perfect black interior that its got, especially out here in the desert...
its getting very hot. louvers are a life saver!

let me know if you have mirror seals and covers in good condition.

also, can i ask one other favor? can you check both of your cars see if you can find where the EGR solenoid valve vacuum line hose goes to? this is the small hose underneath the valve that goes around the back of the engine via a small metal tube.

thanks,

Bon

·
Registered
44 Posts
oh bon, I am very sorry I didn't see this earlier. Do you still need help with the egr setup? I would be happy to get you some pics if you still need them.

I have been struggling with what to do with my 84 AE. Now I am back to wanting to get it running again. I am going to hold off on parting it out one more time. I need time to think lol.

I'm glad I got a good deal on the louvers, they have yet to make it though. I'm getting a little worried about whether I got scammed.

So, the side louvers, how are those suppose to attach? It looks like these ones are glued on my 84 but I want them for my 86. Crap!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts