ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you in the sunnier states who can't locate T-top shades at a reasonable price, I may have an answer. I went to a hobby shop and bought two sheets of paper-covered foam about 3/16" thick. I also got some brown wrapping paper. Laying the T-top upside down on my work bench, I used the wrapping paper to make a template of the glass portion, including the hole spacing for the screws, transferred it to the paper-covered foam. I cut it out using a razor knife, including the holes for the screws. Inserted under the edge of the trim on the lock side, without the hold down screws it has stayed in place on my '88 300ZXT for a year in Florida, and another year and a half in Oklahoma . It could be dressed up with a vinyl cover. The total cost was $4.00 for the two sheets of foam, and a buck for the wrapping paper.I have since done it on my '82 280 ZXT 2 + 2.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

These are the pictures showing the inexpensive T-Top shades. Sorry about the delay.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
That is a good compromise.
The white colour will do a lot to minimise heat absorption.
The black surface on the stock shades is an excellent heat magnet.

I did some tests on my car last summer. On a sunny 40degC day, one stock shade facing the sun through the stock T-Top glass got up to a surface temp of 63degC (as measured with an infra-red thermometer).
The other T-top was covered on the outside with white vinyl "Contact" stick-on sheet. The shaded shade only got to the ambient interior temp which at that time was about 41degC.
The less light that gets into the car, the less black-body radiation you will get inside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.