ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the z cars Ive found at the local junkyard have some pretty good looking set of t tops, better than mine. I'm thinking of taking them and replacing the ones I have now, but the thing is, the t tops are locked so I can't get them off. Ive tried to use my t top key, but no luck. Is there anyway to get the t tops off with out lock picking it or would it be just a waste of time?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, the ones in my 2+2 were really beat up. The little plastic covers fell off, so we were able to unlock the things by moving the little metal pins in it. Find a really ratty set, and tear them apart--that way you can open up the ones you want without damaging them, and them reassembling them.

I am sure there is a better way, though...

·
Registered
517 Posts
You'll damage the T-top if you try to remove it without unlocking it with the T-top key.

Ask the yard owner if they have the T-top key. If not, then ask him if he can call the car's previous owner to bring over the key. If that's not possible and you still want them, then pay a locksmith to meet you there and have him unlock them and make you a new key.

·
Registered
44 Posts
this is cake...

find an '87-89 with nice tops. the '87-89 used the same key for the tops as for the doors/ignition. get the key code off of the sticker in the glove compartment. go to locksmith and have him cut you a key from the code for a dollar. bingo, you have a key for the t tops you wanted.

tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.