ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys doing to replace/restore your original t-top covers? I recently got some reproduced ones ordered for my Z but they were totally crap; the fasteners didnt fit on and they weren't a perfect fit as they let light in which is unacceptable and renders them useless.

What's the best way to go about fixing up/replacing old t-top covers? I'm thinking of crawling the wreckers to see if i can find a "better" set but everyone Ive asked said they'll all be in no better or infact worse condition than the ones i got now are! Stumped!

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you're talking about the T-top shade inserts, I'm sure someone on here will respond to your request. I found some on here last year from one of the guys in the forum and they not only matched my interior color, they were also in great condition. The price was very reasonable. Good luck.

Special Ops Lives!!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do you get new original ones from? I ordered a pair from zcarparts.com and they were terrible and I couldn't use them. I thought the original t-top shades werent in production anymore? If someone could provide a place that sells them that would be super, thanks.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Are you talking about the actual bags they go in to keep them from getting scratched and such? I wouldnt mind a pair of those either. I also NEED a pair of the things that go into the t-tops and keep the sun from coming in. that is so annoying some times but other times its fine (what?).

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didnt even know the t-tops had bags so no Im not talking about them. Im talking about the actual Top Shades themselves, the inside sunroof covers that you're talking about secondly.

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=40-0124&Category_Code=SIC

I ordered these and they're rubbish; they dont fit... The fastener screws are too short for the holes and u cant attach them. Not to mention they're 100% flat and dont fit in properly to begin with, light escapes around the edges; its not contoured like the stock ones etc etc.

I will hit you up domdogg123, thanks for the offer... Although I need blue ones the material on my old ones is still good and I could easily get them re-upholstered in the right color.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You need the following p/n's...

73560-05P13 t-top shade, RH
73561-05P13 t-top shade, LH

both spec for the 2+2 in blue; check out pricing:

nissanparts.cc

Greg

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: You need the following p/n's...

Greg, it doesnt appear that nissanparts.cc ships internationally! I just looked at their site and there's no international shipping option. Where would they be getting the shades from? They obviously are still in production somewhere if they're able to get them so surely someone else can get them aswell. Being a .cc domain is a little suspect though; but thanks for hunting them down for me none the less.

ZagatoZ, I will hit you up on your offer if im unable to find new ones. Im not so worried about the upholstry of them but more the condition the stiff inner-cardboard is in. My ones now are perfect to look at upholstry wise; but they're bowed slightly due to age and they kill my head room.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the inner cardboard is in great shape. As is the cloth. They are actually near mint, just a little dirty. Even has the original R sticker indicating right side shade. I also have matching t top bags, near mint just many crease lines. Also the T tops are for sale. Cloth is really good, but driver side button broke off but i do still have it and it does work. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
85zx: where in Australia are you? What colour shades do you need?

If nissanparts.cc do not ship international, then courtesyparts.com certainly will, but you would have to be pretty keen to pay about US$300+ for a new set of shades.

You will find that the genuine shades do not perfectly seal out the light around the edges, anyways.
If you are in a particualarly hot part of the country then you may be better off getting a second set of glass tops and painting them over to match the car. That would be the most effective way to have some chance of reducing the heat coming through.
The genuine shades are excellent heat magnets. Pointing black things at the sun has that effect.
Some folks fit window tint on the inside of the glass to darken it a bit more but I think Nissan does not recommend that, possibly due to heat differences in the laminated glass potentially leading to cracking.

At one stage of my 280ZX ownership, I experimented with reflective coating on the shades, aka aluminium foil. It looked a bit ghetto but I did record some temp reduction on the interior side of the shade.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ZagatoZ, I will definately hit you up if I am unsuccessful finding a brand new pair.

Mister_T, Im in Tasmania; but soon moving to Queensland where it's hot as a **** although I want the shades more to reduce glare than the heat issue. I need blue shades for the 2+2 84-89 Z.

I confirmed with nissanparts.cc they do ship internationally they just dont take credit card payments from people outside of US/Canada so I'd have to mail a money order which will take 2 weeks. I'm also waiting to hear back confirmation that they are infact for a 2+2 84-89 Z because their site is impossible to navigate and provides no detailed information about them at all that I could find.

Im basically looking to restore my Z to original condition; so painting my t-tops is totally out of the question haha Im more than happy to pay $300 bucks for a brand new set of shades; aslong as they're the right **** ones. Also I couldnt find any shades on courtesyparts.com unless I overlooked them.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I imagine that Courtesy would be able to supply non-web'd parts if you can supply the part numbers. Maybe if you mention Nissanparts.cc to Courtesy they might be inclined to match the price. Whether the parts actually exist in a warehouse somewhere in the US is something else.
USA-spec parts fiche on CD can be bought from Courtesy, or you can look up the fiche at http://z31.com/fiche/ .
I think there is even a seller on AU eBay selling Nissan "FAST" parts software on CD (with US market database).

Part code 73551 - Shade RH - 4S.T/R - pn 73560-05P13 (B trim code)
Part code 73552 - Shade LH - 4S.T/R - pn 73561-05P13 (B trim code)
details expanded on part number listed previously by "Greg 84AE"

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is what i heard back from nissanparts.cc

"Those are the correct numbers for the 1985 300zx 2+2 with a blue interior, but unfortunately Nissan has cancelled those part numbers. I checked my Nissan locator and no other dealers have them either. Sorry about that."

:(

I am still waiting to hear back from courtesynissan but my guess is they would of tried them. Fingers crossed courtesynissan can find me a pair but I'm not holding my breath.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.