ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the availability of set of new gears and shynchros for the Borg Warner Tranny ('82 ZXT)

Aftermarket? Different (lower) ratios?

I am very aware the main shaft is different but.... Will 5.0's gears and shynchros work?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Garcia
Puerto Rico

· Registered
745 Posts
Hey Carlos,

Haven't seen you on here in awhile. Anyway If you search the web there are a couple of companys out there that can help you out with all the parts you need. I found them one day but, can't seem to this morning. About the gears I really don't think the gear sets are the same. I used to race several friends with 5.0's and they were always in a lower gear then I was at the same speed. The main thing was that they could not use 5th for anything but, cruising down the highway.

Cody 82 ZXT

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW!! THAT IS A GREAT SITE!!!

THANKS A LOT!
I JUST STARTED READING ABOUT THE T5 A COUPLE OF SENTENCES IN THE SITE AND I AM IN LOVE WITH THE INFO PROVIDED THERE!!!
IN 20 SECONDS LEARNED A LOT!!

hope this info is helpful

--------here is a copy of a section---------

The T5 5 Speed was originally manufactured by Borg Warner Automotive. The first T5 5 speeds were manufactured as far back as 1982 and are still being made at the time this page was written ( 2001 ). The T5 was the only American made standard transmission to span almost 20 years of production. Before the GM's Muncie 4 speed held that honor. Because of the large quantities of T5's produced, many parts are interchangeable, allowing one to create interesting 5 speed combinations. No other transmission allows this to be done quite this easy. There are now over 260 different T5 transmission assembly part numbers

There are 2 basic kinds of T5 5 speeds. Non World Class ( NWC ) and World Class ( WC ). The T5 is an evolution of the Borg Warner SR4 4speed. The SR4 was a lightweight design, ball bearing and needle bearing counter gear box using bronze synchro rings. The T4 was an improvment of this design, using tapered input and output shaft bearings combined with a drawn cup roller bearing countergear. The T5 NWC was a T4 with an added 5th gear.

NWC T5's were issued in 1982. First applications were in S-10 Blazers. By 1983 Ford started using them in the Mustang, GM had them in the F body Camaro and Firebird Cars, AMC had them in the Eagle and Jeep lines. AMC dropped the T5 by 1985 to make room for cheaper Peugeot and Toyota boxes. By late 1985 the first WC boxes were used by Ford. The WC boxes had 1st, 2nd, and 3rd speed gears riding on roller bearings instead of solid shafts. The countergears saw an upgrade to tapered bearings. The bronze synchro rings were replaced by fiber lined rings and dual cone designed rings to improve ring surface area. GM started using WC boxes as early as 1988 in the Camaro / Firebird line but still kept NWC boxes in S-10's and Astro Vans. By the mid 1990's most of the GM T5 installations were all World Class.

The next few web pages will show you how to identify T5 5 speeds. Some pictures will show you ID tips. There is also a TAG ID program. Shortly we will have a build up of a complete T5 from scratch. Over this 19 year span we have seen improvments to casting designs, synchro ring designs,alloy changes, addition of reverse gear synchro's and sadly the sale of Borg Warner's T5 line to Tremec Corp.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeap Cody, It's been a while!

It's been a year since the last time I used my Z! :(
Now I am trying to start a general rebuild and upgrade planning for the really big ponnies!!
Forged pistons, ARP allround and lots of other things.

I really missed the community,

I expect to be able to come back once in a while.

Z ya!!!

CarlosZXT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.