ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 71 with an 83 280zxt engine - wow, I love the car. However, it has the old 4 speed and R180 differential and I would like to put a five speed in it. I have the Borg - Warner T-5 and R200 3.54 out of the 83, though I've heard the ratios and shifting feel of this tranmission are not so good. Would I be better off using a regular 5 speed and a 3.90? If I did use the T-5, would I have to modify the driveshaft?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
David Knouf wrote:
-------------------------------
I just bought a 71 with an 83 280zxt engine - wow, I love the car. However, it has the old 4 speed and R180 differential and I would like to put a five speed in it. I have the Borg - Warner T-5 and R200 3.54 out of the 83, though I've heard the ratios and shifting feel of this tranmission are not so good. Would I be better off using a regular 5 speed and a 3.90? If I did use the T-5, would I have to modify the driveshaft?

Yes you would have to build a new driveshaft, as well as make a new rear mount. The T-5 lines up about 2.5 inches past the stock nissan trans. You would be better off (easier) to just use a stock nissan 5 speed. I haven't heard of anyone breaking one due to excessive horsepower. Maybe shearing teeth from overly aggressive shifting, but that's going to hurt any tranny. That being said, I'm still going to use a BW in my turbo 240.
greg
71 240z

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.