ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal....my 87na has been making some whining sounds that seem to come from the rear of the car when drving. I replaced the worn-out shocks and the whining sound is still there.

I'm thinking about putting synthetic in the diff to see if that solves the problem, but I hear synthetic may cause leaks. Any opinions about this?

If synthetic is OK, what is the best kind?

Is synthetic OK for the transmission too?

If this doesn't solve the problem, what next? The bearings? Thanks..........

·
Registered
48 Posts
For what it's worth, I put Redline synthetic transmission fluid and gear oil for the transmission/diff in my 96 300ZX and it made a WORLD of difference.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to but Redline in both my diff and manual tranny for my 87na Z. What weights to use for each? Thanks..........

·
Registered
657 Posts
i think your diff might be getting old......... you might be looking at replacing the guts.............. when you drain the diff., feel the bottum of the pan and check to see how big the metal shavings are....you should be able to feel like a very fine grit on the bottum of the pan..........basically if you can see the metal shaving you have a problem..... something isnt aligned right and its getting worn out.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
i agree with red replace your diff mount

·
Registered
657 Posts
oh sorry i forgot about the magnet............. ive never actually done anything to my diff......... and didnt know if they had one..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.