ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The continuing saga of my '73: Two weeks ago it began spewing white smoke and in only a few miles of driving, it emptied the radiator into the oil and combustion chambers. I tore it down expecting to find a seriously blown headgasket. But I found nothing. Thanks to some advice from this site, I had the head checked and it had a small crack which was welded. If you can't guess by now, I put it back together and have the same billowing smoke problem, but I'm not really sure if I still have a leak into the oil as I haven't really driven it too much since I got it started last night at around midnight. Here's what I've done since putting it back together:
1. Did compression check, all cylinders have good compression.
2. Blocked off water passages through Intake manifolds, no change.
3. Ran car with radiator cap on & off, no difference.
4. Removed muffler which was full of water, still billows white smoke.
5. Today, got yelled at by next door neighbor who said I woke his whole family up at 1:00 AM
6. Running without muffler, antifreeze continuously drips from exhaust.
7. Contacted machine shop which did head. They said they did a pressure test after weld repair and the head checked fine.

I'm sort of baffled. considering the symptoms, I don't see how it could be anything but the head, or head gasket but the shop maintains the head checked fine and the gasket of course was new. The shop will work with me if I have to tear it down again, but I don't want to!!! Any ideas?????

·
Registered
529 Posts
I hate to suggest this, but did you check the block for cracks? The only way to find out now w/out tearing it apart is to do a leakdown test. I would highly recomend this. You will be able to figure out where the water is coming from. Good luck. BTW, at this point, all you really need is to pressurize each cylinder w/an air compressor at about 100psi and that will tell you. Once again, good luck.

Ian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> I hate to suggest this, but did you check
> the block for cracks? The only way to find
> out now w/out tearing it apart is to do a
> leakdown test. I would highly recomend this.
> You will be able to figure out where the
> water is coming from. Good luck. BTW, at
> this point, all you really need is to
> pressurize each cylinder w/an air compressor
> at about 100psi and that will tell you. Once
> again, good luck.

> Ian
Try running the motor briefly without water see if it smokes

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
73 huh, hey bud, here's a possible ray of sunshine for you! BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING MAJOR! The 69-75 carbs all have a passage that circulates the coolant through the intake manifold/carbs to prewarm the mixture, and promote a better fuel/air ratio. as with all of nissans smog tricks, this setup is notorious for crapping out! when the seals go on the system IT PUMPS COOLANT into the intake! Disconnect and plug this smoggie bit off at the inlet and outlet (trace the lines, they almost look like fuel lines) My 72 did the same thing, and I ran around in a panic until I found this...You may get lucky too!, it worked for me. -Lynn

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Lynn!! If it still billows smoke, block has a crack. Oh yea, the next time your neighbor gripes at you, tell him to bite you!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Lynn!! If it still billows smoke, block has a crack. Oh yea, the next time your neighbor gripes at you, tell him to bite you!

·
Registered
486 Posts
You got yealled at huh? HaHa...Sorry, but I live an apartment co,plex while going to school and I have run my car without a muffler before around here. The only difference, I hate my nieghbors anyways and did it early Sunday morning, around 7. Drive around like that sometime and see how everybody looks at you. They WILL look. Nissans arn't supposed to make that kind of noise, are they? Good Luck with the engine, check the water lines though as suggested, this happened to me also.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe the answer

****... A while back I heard or the timing cover on the front of the engine getting holes in it.. This will allow water into the oil passages.. Hope this helps as my memory is getting shorter every day..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Maybe the answer

> ****... A while back I heard or the timing
> cover on the front of the engine getting
> holes in it.. This will allow water into the
> oil passages.. Hope this helps as my memory
> is getting shorter every day..

Yup, I've seen that, too. The aluminum behind the water pump gets eaten away, presumably from using no antifreeze or anti-corrosion additive, and water enters the crankcase through the holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.