ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on changing out 77 280z to a carb setup. Tired of jacking with FI stuff. What I would really appreciate from y'all is information. I know MSA sells a new 4brl intake and I think that is the way I want to go, but there are several unanswered questons I have:
What sort of fuel pump would I need?
How do I hook up the brake booster and vac bottle?
what do I do with that pipe coming out of the block that is for the pcv valve?
how do I deal with the fuel return line?
Do I need to get new exhaust headers to eliminate the EGR line?
Is there a reference out there somewhere to guide me in this?
What am I missing?
I know some of you think this is a bad idea, but I am about fed up with the fuel Injected system. I've alread replaced the injectors, the AFM, redone the electrical, replaced the temp sensor and it still doesn't work right. I know I need a new emissions canister and air regulator. ARGHHHHHHHH! After a year and consideral change thrown at the problem, I think its time for quits on the EFI.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Ant

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Please oh Please, Don't Do It!

You are almost at the end of the tunnel. Have you purchased a Factory Service Manual yet? Not a Clymer, Chilton, Haynes, or the like, but the FACTORY manual? If you have, sit down and READ it. Seriously. I was a BIG SU swapper for years since ther was NO way in my mind that the EFI could compare with the carbs...
Then I actually got a Factory Service Manual and read it. Along wiht the Bosch Fuel Injection Manual. Then I started to realize that there isn't really anything complicated about the EFI, and troubleshooting became REALLY REALLY easy. Problems that plagued me previously dissapeared and I found myself tweaking the stock EFI rather than sw2itching to SU's.
I have made it full circle now: I bought a 1976 Fairlady Z 2+2 a year ago. The first thing I did, was remove the 40DCOE triple Webers and install the SU's. That got me to the DMV for registration. The next thing I did was to swap in the EFI from a stateside EFI Car, and now I have a Non-EGR manifold, ported for the big throttle body ready to go in on an new engine.
I can't waitf or this new Mass Flow meter conversion from MSA to get released, so I can Cam it and play to the max, while still simply turning the key when it's 25 degrees out!
Take the time to educate yourself on the Bosch EFI system, sometimes it takes some time (for me it took from 1988 till 2000!) but when that light goes on in your head, and your enlightenment level on that system comes, you stop feearing it, you embrace it, and you move into the 21st century.
As for a four-barrel intake:" if you are bent on removing the EFI (and once again, I say, don't do it!) Go back to the system Nissan Designed for the engine in the first place. Pay the $$$ get the Z Therapy Rebuilt carbs, and start fresh. You can get better HP and Drivability from a fresh set of SU's on an junkyard manifold than you will ever experience from a new 4 barrel manifold and carb!
Gut it out and get the EFI going, dude! Stick with 21st century technology!

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Re: Please oh Please, Don't Do It!

I totally agree with Tony D. Two things, if you have a faulty charcoal cannister and air regulator, then they need to be replaced or at the very least bypassed correctly. I will even add that a set of junkyard SU's on that junkyard manifold will be better than the 4bbl

·
Registered
27 Posts
HI ANTON, I SAY GO FOR THE SWAP, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS YOU ARE HAVING AND IT JUST GOT ME DOWN SO I SWAPPED OVER TO TWO 2" SUS ON A 240 MANIFOLD AND HAVENT LOOKED BACK SINCE.
BEFORE I DONE THE SWAP I ASKED FOR SOME INFO ON DOING THE JOB AND THE ONLY REPLIES I GOT WERE PEOPLE TELLING ME NOT TO DO IT (WHICH IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HERE) BUT I DID FIND A POST TELLING ME ROUGHLY HOW TO DO IT- ILL TRY TO FIND IT FOR YOU.
E-MAIL ME WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ILL MAIL YOU BACK.
ANDY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.