ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering something really stupid i was thinking if a tt swap is so expensive why not drop in a carburated V8 which is less expensive and probably less gass consuming....

I actually would like to go tt but bringing it down to earth a total swap would go by cheaper....

shoot guys no mercy

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
um.... less gas? my best friend and i built a chevy 350 smallblock carbed with a 600CFM 4 barrel carb and an edelbrock performer intake manifold that gets 9 MPG when you baby it....

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but how about the troubles to put it in?

wouldnt you guys say that it would be alot easier and less expensive?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cuz I could get a 5.0 v8 for $350 and a tt engine with ecu, intercoolers and piping no harness for $2,200

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
this v8 is just motor right? Don't think of the initial cost of the motor, add in anythign that could be needed to make it fit. Look on tt.net for member adlawsha ro ssomethign like that

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awright.. thanx....

kinda stupid question... wouldnt the gearbox ratio of the NA make this V8 motor pick up speed faster? eventhought the top speed would drop

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
thats just an engine. you will spend another 1k trying to figure out how to get just the engine into the car. that doesnt include coolant system. do you want to sacrifice a/c or power steering becuase you cant have both. also, how about a transmission? thats ganna cost you some pennies to get that to fit into the car. what about a custom driveshaft adn getting it all to fit and run? you DO know that a 5 liter engine is the same as a 305/302. and it makes roughly 280 HP to the crank right?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
its probably cheaper to do V-8 if just looking at buying cost like you were about parts. The problem is to do the V-8 you have to do a lot of custom work which is going to add to the costs which you do not have to do for the TT swap. So probably in the long run the TT swap comes out cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I didn't know that cuz I actually saw this engine on a truck buy I don't mean a pick up truck... it is put in a truck that is used by one of the energy companies here in El Salvador to move around the posts... but the thing is wrecked not (engine wise)

so the gearbox couldn't possibly be fit to this new engine?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok cool....

you guys think this conversion to TT NEEDS like specialized tools or a standard set of tools would do?

of course including the hydraulic lifter to drop the engine in and stuff?

I could get to keep the gearbox right?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
doesn't putting a hawg of an american V8 into the Z kind of defeat the entire purpose of owning one?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
^I found it pretty stupid to put an American motor into a Japanese car. You can pretty much drop the American motors into anything so why waste a Z on it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.