ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys.. im doing some work, and will have around $550 to play with the Z.

i need a new airdam, so thats a good chunk out... but i could wait on that.

as much as i want the boost, i also want a GOOD suspension setup... my old ass mystery springs arent cuttin it.. and my shocks SUCK.

but id have enough to score a turbo setup, and possibly MS... dream come true.

but if i got the susp, or the boost, i could probably squeeze in the airdam, so im not worried about that...

and as for bodywork, im just waiting for the panels from lvcien.

i know both will be done eventually, but i need some feedback from my Zcar peers!!! boost, or suspension...hmmmm.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
suspension
you dont need more power but better handling .. read on the coilovers in tech some guy used teh cheaper ones.

Anyway a stock car with good handling can outrun a car (on a track) that handles stock but is faster ...

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
Third Option...

That will get you a one day car control course at Jim Russell...

Everybody thinks they're fast in their car till someone who knows how to drive shows them otherwise!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
And...

$550 will buy you about half the suspension, unless your just doing springs/struts which it will cover and leave you $100-150 if you get them at a good price. So maybe springs/strut and bushings.

A good driving school is also a great idea, you'd probably be suprised at how you can throw around a Z even with worn out suspension.

Matt

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Whatever you do, do it only once. If the project costs more than $550, save up a little more. Be judicial with your pruchase, use a credit card as payment & ebay will be lowest dollar amount. Pay off the card so it doesn't become it's own useless money pit.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Re: $550?

Don't use a credit card. They never get paid off. That's why they're so popular with the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES!

Absolutely only do it once. If you're a little short, then wait another couple of paychecks. Don't cut corners just because you don't have the cash on hand to satisfy your need for instant gratification that will end up disappointing you later.

I can't imagine how you could do a turbo and MS with $550 unless it was with junk yard parts. And if it is a junk yard turbo, you'll spend more than your total on a rebuild soon...

Get a good Tokico blue strut/shock and spring package. That'll cost you about $350. I generally don't recommend eBay, because it's more often NOT the cheapest. But I've used this guy before and he delivers what he says.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-280Z-NISSAN-280ZX-79-to-83_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitemZ160017453590QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW>

Then get your airdam and you're done. You can save your money for new sway bars later, but you'll probably be just as happy with the stock one's and good springs and shocks/struts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replys guys.

whitezster... i know how much turbos run, i built one already.

frank... i get ya. and i do want the car setup to be able to do autox runs.. so this could be a good place to start!

tony... i agree with the school, but thats my 18th birthday/christmas present from the rents (wow... theyre actually getting me something..lol).

mat and WW... and sleepin on it, i figured id find a good set of springs/shocks, and do up the sway bar bushings... i mean ive driven 450miles... and lost NO oil!!!! so i think im gonna play with the car like it is for awhile... well...with some susp. mods.

now i want springs that will lower the car.. like 3or so inches from stock. its already this low (crappy cut springs), and i really like the stance.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Sits good, so does it not handle well or seem bouncy or is it still soft with the cut springs? And what struts are you using that could have more to do with it than the springs, depending on how they were cut.

Matt

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Do your suspension, the car itself will just be more fun to drive even with the power you have. There is no point in big power unless you can handle.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Amazing what a new suspension/bushing feels like.

But I really like TonyD's idea!

Zoom Zooommm

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
Aaaah... In that case...

If you can use your car, I would spend the money on rebushing underneath the whole car with urethane. I have done this as a matter of course on every car I buy (usually under $500 total vehicle costs, so I figure they need it!)

And fix the water pump. When's the last time you checked?

I would lay money if you took a day and really really really went over your car, you would easily spend the remainder of the $550 after the bushings in simple basic maintenance supplies to get the car running absolutely optimized.

It's amazing how we all forget all the niggling problems when we have a wad of cash, and sure to form, after the "big project" is done, there's the post: 'just spent $xxxx on the car, took it for it's first drive and the XYZ failed (pick your common maintenance item)! man, this sucks!"

Words of wisdom there, don't be a Bubbles!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the car doesnt bounce at all... but with stock (front renewed last year, rears god knows how long ago) shocks, it bottoms out hard...

all of them are 2coils off the top and bottom, cut slowly with a grinder with running water on them, to take down heat. ghetto, yes... but when you are bored, 16 years old, and wanted a temp. drop.. you do dumb things.

the thing is that i think all i need is shocks... good shocks... the springs seem fine.

and i do agree tony, about the urethane kit. itd be wonderful to freshen it up!

water pump was replaced 9 months ago... no cooling problems. and aside from needing new batt. terminal wires... the car is pretty in-tune. no problems there... she runs like a champ!!

and i totally forgot that Zfest is coming in oct. and i want the car to be ready for the track in ocala... i wanna whoop some butt!!!

so suspension it is... but for you grassroots guys... where should i start?? and do you guys think i could get away with just getting a really good brand of shock?? cuz the springs ride fine.. no bouncing what-so-ever... since being cut.

man... i could really use a Z veteran to drive my car... ugh.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Get springs too...

If you're bottoming out, new shocks won't fix it. And actually, you're poorly 'designed' springs will destroy ANY new shocks you put on it.

To do it right, you need to get a suspension that was engineered for your application.

If you want to go lower than Eibach, Tokico or Suspension Techniques allows, then you should get coil-overs.

Team Zleep wrote:

> the car doesnt bounce at all... but with stock (front renewed
> last year, rears god knows how long ago) shocks, it bottoms out
> hard...

Post Edited (Aug 18, 4:53pm)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats what im looking for!!!

well i guess the next thing to ask is what is the lowest spring i can buy??
cuz i dont think i can pull off a coilover setup for $550..

i mean... i want to try my hardest to keep the car where it is... it has 3.25in. from the ground on the framerails...

Post Edited (Aug 18, 5:05pm)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.