ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is tyler and I'm looking for some help on redoing my suspension on my z . I'm looking for some good bushing kits and some advice on a suspension set up since my 1975 280z is feeling really boat like. Any advice or links would be appreciated while I dig through the forums and hopefully can find good advice on doing the tedious bushings on the whole car
:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bushings are probably shot everywhere. Rubber has disintegrated. Find a poly bushing kit for the car, and start replacing bushings. Only ones to keep rubber are the tension control rods. If you go to poly, the rods tend to break. Look around at places like Z Car Depot, Z Car Source. A Google search for "280z poly bushing kit" should turn up a list of sellers. They are all the same kit, so find the kit with the best price from the most reputable seller.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am pretty happy with the way the Vogtland springs sit. Also doing the energy hyperflex bushings.
Don't forget the steering rack bushings.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am a bolt on guy, so I'm about to install a koni adjustable shock with eibach lowering springs. I wanted to do coilovers, but didn't want to cut and weld my shock tubes. Spare shock tubes were expensive online, and hard to come by locally.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'd go with upgraded sway bars. Installing those on my car DRASTICALLY changed the ability to go around curves without sliding out of the car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response guys I'll definitely do some looking into it . I'm so excited to start tinkering with it again and do what iv always wanted to do

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
As far as springs go it depends on what you want. There are only 2 options to consider on lowering springs. Linear rate (Vogtlands) which are stiff all the time or progressive rate (Eibach) which are a little stiff than stock and the harder you push them the stiffer they get. Both are good springs it just depends on what you want for the ride. I can put together specific suspension packages any way that I want which will give you exactly what you want and need. If you're interested you can call me at 360-668-2979 or send me an e-mail to [email protected] . Be sure to let me know you use this forum and that will qualify you for an automatic discount ranging from 5% to 30%. Z man of Washington

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I went with energy suspension bushings because the PO had them in the car when I bought it. Much on the forums is hype. Someone will have an old, ragged out suspension system, install new bushings and excitedly state that "it handles like it's on rails".

I talked to one person that modified cars for the track. He pointed out that sway bar size isn't as important as stiffness. Just get a quality set of bushings, change the other worn suspension parts and it will handle wonderfully. I tend to repair systems completely so I don't have sequential break downs.

ie when doing brakes on a newly acquired car, do pads, rotors, calipers, hoses & wheel bearings and you'll be through with tha job.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
995 Posts
On note - do not replace the bushings on the tension/compression rods with poly. I learned that those have broken the tension rods on some occasions. Stay with rubber on those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts