ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent HOURS researching what I need to order for my suspensiion here in this forum, and so far this is what I've come up with:
Tokico (or KYB)shocks & struts, Eiach springs (? not decided yet), Motorpsports sway bar, ball joints, tie rod ends, urethane bump stops, shock tower braces, AND bushings for the steering rack, front and rear control arms, tension rod, and a steering rack boot. Obviously, this is going to cost me over $1000 in parts alone, but I think it's worth it as I only paid $1500 for the car and plan on keeping it forever. My husband has tried to get me to trade it in for a new Mustang, a 300ZX and an Eclipse, but I LOVE my little Z. So is there anything here I don't really need, or is there something else I should be getting? What can I do to give it a little more hp in the lower RPMs?

·
Registered
66 Posts
RE: Suspension- suggestion

IMO, I would recomend the "Suspension Techniques" sway bars for the front and rear. You may also want to replace the "moustache bar" bushings. On a different note, how are your brakes? I had my mechanic do all corners while he had it all torn down. Worth considering. Good luck and keep us posted. :>)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Don't Forget

Wheel bearings front and rear. The fronts are easy, but the rear isn't. While the car is apart though the rear won't be to bad and it will make the car alot smoother/quiter. I don't like most eibach springs cause they are progressive (get stiffer as they compress) this is for comfort but the Z was designed from the factory with linear rate springs like motorsports or suspension techniques. The car will handle better with linear springs, I think eibach makes linear for the Z but make sure to check.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Don't Forget

I have Eibachs and Tokicos on my 78. I like them alot.If you do alot of freeway driving (I do 120 mi. a day) progressive springs are nice, Just firm enough for a solid ride but won't Beat your brains out, but work nice through the turns.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are going all out on this suspension! It's my feeling that you are on the right track except you probably don't want to mess with the front and rear control arm bushings if the stock ones are not destroyed. They are "very" difficult to get out and will significantly increase the complexity of the project. Also, with the increased diameter of the front swaybar, you may not need to go with the strut tower brace, unless you plan on doing some auto-x.

Just my opinion

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more...

The easiest performance increase is new exhaust, 2.25" or 2.5" with a high-flow cat and a good quality muffler on the end. I have seen the Motorsport exhaust and it seems quite nice. A high-flow cat is very important in reducing backpressure. You also need to place a high quality air filter on the intake side. If you don't want to take off the blue box, at least put a K&N inside of it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very Good.....I'm Impressed

Yvette,

I looked it all over... most of the things you mentioned were for the front end with following exceptions. Bushing for the rear control arms, rear shock tower brace, rear bump stops, springs, struts and rear sway bar.

I would add the following for the rear. (2)Bushings for the mustash bar, rear end mount. And I would change out the strut tower insulator to the 240Z version. This will help lower the car. You need them for both front and rear. If you do all of this, I would also add bump steer Spacers (page 102 of the motorsports cat.) and also for grins and giggles... I would run the quick steering knucles on the same page. Now if you have way to much money in your pocket.... I would also change the "U" joints in the half shafts and the drive shaft. Someone else said BRAKES.... yep that too.

I wouldn't go with the KYB stuff.... for the street, I would go with the Tokico high performance struts... if you like the adjustable ones and can afford them.... they are sweet.

You do all this and you will drive everyone nuts. Because, every person on here would love to do the same.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Low end Power...

Hello Yvette,

You might be able to advance your cam to increase the power at lower engine speeds. I don't know how many miles are on your engine or the last tune up was performed. These are some of the factors that are associated with timimg chain stretch. Nissan was very considerate and installed a cam sprocket that can be adjusted (taken of and reinstalled) in finite increments. Its definitely worth taking a look to see the condition of the timing chain. Best part of all. Its free, if you're somewhat mechanically inclined.

Rod

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yvette I tried to email you

I emailed you a reply but my message was returned. Are you onto me already? :)LOL

S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.