ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
These are the types of "Upgrades" I like to see!!

I can see your problem with running a Front Mount.

A Water/Air Intercooler would be real nice in between that blower, and the throttle body.

Also... You need to tell me if you can lower that motor. I will build you an intake for that setup. I would say it will improve youre car's power Drasticly

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lower the motor???? You mean by lower the motor mounts? or cross member? Whats so bad with the stock intake, I have hear some poeple prasie them, because it distributes the charge so well. I can see where it could be restrictive around the back side. I had thought about build one when I was doing the motor, but I hear so much praise about them I didn't. When building an intake do you try to make it twice the volume of the engine displacement. I saw the pics of where you built yours, it didn't look too hard. I can weld aluminum that wouldn't be problem, just not sure about the design to ensure equal distribution. How hard is it to lower the motor. Thanks for sticking with me on this set up.
Later
Brian

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yep... Youre stock intake is terrible. Mine holds 5.5 l of air.(according to the measurements.) A box type intake is no rocket science. Most seem to over complicate it. I can see a N/A intake being more tempermental to slight airflow disruptions, but on forced applications not as much.

Plus front entry is the most efficiant way into the intake for turbos because of the Crossover pipe, but youre headers will help keep the heat down in that area.

Still my 4000-7000 rpm power comes from the intake allowing the engine to get the air it needs very easy at high RPM.

Combine that with those heads you got, It will make Very Large gains over youre peak power at this point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey 88hybrid,
I noticed that you eliminated the aux. air control valve. Did this cause any problems with idling? Are you running a MAP set up? I didn’t see a MAF on you car?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes, I had to lower the engine to fit my intake.

My SDS Uses a MAP sensor now (that would help you configure better S/C intake designs) and I use an external Idle Control.

This is the controller I use for fast idle.

A Stand Alone is the Best Bang for the Buck upgrade on any Z31.
Oh... I lowered the motor by making some Poly mounts. They are 2 inches in height.

Here they are:

Post Edited (Oct 25, 2:03pm)

·
Registered
257 Posts
OMFG that is sweet. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.