Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently thinking of adding a supercharger to my 83 280zx n/a
I was wondering if any of you have heard of supercharging a 280zx or if its possible
And if anyone knows where to get a supercharger for a 280zx..sites, catalogs,
any help will be much appreciative.
thanks........

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4k could be afforded but i dont want to go that route.
how about a paxton supercharger or a centrifugal type.
one that would pressurize the air before it reaches the afm or after?
just looking for options.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Thats the way to go

Get you a vortech or the new paxton Novi series blower and fabricate some brackets. There is plenty of room to mount one above the alternator. You can buy the blower and have brackets custom made at a machine shop for less than the Jim Cook unit and you will end up will alot more power. Don't forget that you will need to get pulleys made as well. You really have plenty of room to run an intercooler with it which would let you run substantially more boost. Don't overlook Powerdyne blowers, they are belt driven very quiet (you would suprise alot of people) and they are sell contained meaning there is no oil line to run which also means the blower is not heating your engine oil.

Fuel management will be your biggest issue. I can't imagine throwing money into a project like this without a larger fuel line, higher cc injectors, high volume fuel pump and a good engine management system like SDS or haltec. Thats were the price gets driven up beyond the Jim Cook kit - but realistically you end up with a far stronger more upgradeable system going with the centrifugal style.

I Know for a fact you can fab your own system and get great results for less than the other system I've seen it done. 71 240 L28 turbo engine/head with a powerdyne, spearco intercooler and SDS. Only running 7psi he is dynoing 260rwhp @ 5800 rpm 324 ft/lbs the torque curve is awesome being almost flat from 3100 - 6000 rpm.

You can do a turbo alot cheaper and get more hp but it is much peakier and still feels like a L28 (which isn't necessarily bad) but my friends supercharged Z feels like a V8 its so torquey matter of fact I'm one of the few that actually know what he has, most even some who have driven it think its a 302!

Matt

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Depends

On how much you want to put into it.

1st step should be determining what your goals are, how much time and money you have at disposal, with those things in mind start pricing the parts and or donor vehicle to see whats realistic.

I think the next serious step is finding a donor turbo ZX or at least the turbo engine out of one. You can build the non turbo engine into a turbo setup by changing pistons to lower compression and bolt the turbo head on, but the turbo motor uses the newest L28 block with more webbing and some stronger bolts here an there already has decent pistons and higher pressure oil pump so thats what I'd start with.

There's alot of people on here with nice turbo conversions that could detail this alot better than me though so just keep asking around and search the archieves

Matt

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
It's not the only one...

The JCR kit is for an eaton unit that mounts on a custom manifold.
A Sprintex or Whipplecharger will bolt to the A/C bracket and work, you just gotta buy the thing and fab the pieces.
Paxtons, Votrechs, and other centrifugals will also bolt-on, over where most of the ARA and Frigi-King Compressor Brackets hung by the fuel pump. There's a nice setup like that in the SimiValley area, but the guy is totally unmotivated to bring his kit to market as it's such a small one, it's not worth the effort.

With the money you will spend for a Supercharger, and the money to get it working right, you may as well just build your own kit, it's gonna all cost the same in the end!

Then again, since everyone seems infatuated with mechanically drive superchargers, don't forget, the proper terminology is turboSUPERCHARGER, if anyone cares. And you can buy a whole car to do a driveline swap for less than the cost of the major component of a mechanical-driven unit...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.