ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a supercharger have to be on it's own belt or is it possible to belt it together with a power steering pump? I'm trying to figure out how I can mount an Eaton SC on my L28E-'83 280ZX. I'm not interested in the big dollar kit

here's my plan- If the power steering pump is lowered and moved out with some brackets, there is room for a SC with a fabricated pipe/intake to collect the compressed air, and another pipe to feed it; both pipes can come under the SC and out around the front (electric fan in front of rad) and come up with opposite 90 degree bends in between the throttle body and the intake manifold (the TB would have to be modified forward 6-8inches, maybe real long bolts inside small pipes in the four corners); I've still got some research to do on the SC itself to figure out how to connect the vacuum hose that operates the bypass actuator and the proper wheel size ratio but this whole idea makes me stiff!!!

the question - Am I out to lunch?
any info/hints/ideas would be much appreciated; THANKS

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Better get a big belt

Superchargers take lots of power to run, and all that power is transmitted through the belt. It will have to be a wide toothed belt, no way is a v-belt going to work - it will slip bad.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Agree with Sleeper...

There's no way a single V-Series belt is going to properly transmit the torque.
BUT,
If you were to piggy-back a Gilmer Belt to either drive the PS pump or the Supercharger directly, you COULD get by with a much narrower belt than you would when using a V-Sectioned unit...
You could drive the PS on the original drive plane, with another drive off the front of it's pulley to drive the Supercharger. Or simply mount a free idler on the PS Pulley, with the gated Gilmer Pulleys on the Supercharger and the Crankshaft to keep the belts aligned...
Either way, don't be constrained by how everybody else does it, there are many ways to drive such things.
What about mounting a Drive-Dog and Lovejoy-Style coupling and powering the Supercharger off the CAMSHAFT?!?!?!? They drive FI pumps and Distributors from there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.