Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya all,

I'm in the process of stripping my car and primering it and am pretty close to done, I was thinking about maybe getting a sun roof before I paint the car, so I wanted to know if any of you have done this to your Z, how much it cost, any particular ones to recommend etc... etc... By the way i saw on Zhome.com somewhere a Ad that showed that awhile back someone was offering T-top conversions for Z's which i thought was kinda neat. But i'm kinda interested in a sun roof and would luv to hear your opinions of if you have em
thanks
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Sunroofs, Any 240Z-280Z got em?</b>

First, IMHO the aftermarket sunroofs you get at Kragen, etc. look hokey on Z-cars. Second, if I could get a '79-'83 body without the T-tops, I'd swap all my '82 running gear to it and scrap the T-top body. T-tops are the biggest pain in the ass in the history of automobiles. (Nowhere to put them, clumsy to operate and they leak no matter what you do).

All that said, the nicest sunroof I ever saw on an early Z was a Honda unit (I think I remember the guy saying from an early CRX) that had been swapped over. If you've ever seen the mechanicals of one of these things, you'll appreciate the difficulty of this modification. They guy said it took him six months, lots of cussing and a couple of quarts of blood to get it done. He said he'd never do it again in a million years, too. But it was well done and looked very trick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i had a 76 with a sunroof and it was a disaster. in fact my mechanic restored a 76 and cut the roof off it because it had a sunroof, and put on a solid roof. you get ALOT of flex in the body when you cut a hole in the roof, and eventually the roof WILL leak. i once saw a 77 280 with a t-top conversion, but my experience with t-tops is only sightly better than with sunroofs. i had a factory installed t-top on my nx2000, and it eventually leaked. i bought the car new with 45 miles on it and pampered it, but it still eventually sprung a leak.
hope this helps,
andy

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Sunroofs, Any 240Z-280Z got em?</b>

Yuichi,

I hear what ya mean and have thought about it too. Gee, wouldn't it be nice to have a sunroof... It sure would be nice to be driving around the bay area with it open...I agree with the guy that said the sunroofs at the auto stores look nasty... I also agree with everyone that said they leak... they do...both water and air.

I think that if you would like a sunroof you should get it. Living in sunny California is great and having a sunroof is just one of the ways to enjoy life. I also think this is one of the lessons ya just need to learn on your own. Go for it!!!! and let me know when you have it in.

Lastly, if you need your car primed drop me an e-mail. I can paint it at my place. Meaning, you tape it, I'll spray it.

Zya,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heheh I change my mind now:)

with nothing but negative comments about both I think I'm going to change my mind heheh, Its bad enough that the weatherstripping leaks but if i'm going to have to worry about the sunroof then forget it, I'll just stick my head out the window like Ace ventura and feel the wind that way:) thanks for your opinions everyone, besides I can spend my money for something else better to improve my Car;)
Zya
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
My '77 came with a sunroof, and I love it, except when I shut it and my hair is still in it, and I'm driving down the freeway trying to get my hair out, swerving all over the place, screaming and cussing . . .

·
Registered
645 Posts
hey, I have one and it is great...doesn't leak and is air tight...not sure what brand it is but I can check this evening. the guy I bought it from had it installed. he managed a ziebart-tidy car shop and it looks like he did it right.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Whats wrong with my t-tops?

Whats wrong with my T-Tops? there stock from 81 and they don't leak maybe I just lucked out its snows and rains here

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I love my sunroof and it doesn't leak! I installed one on my 260Z about 8 years ago. If you take the time and do it right or have a professional intallation I think you will be pleased. One thing I have noticed is the exhaust smell can be a problem. But I enjoy it more for the way it "opens" the car to light. I have a few photo's of the installation if anyone is intersted.

Later....

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have to agree with Rich, if you get it done right you shouldn't have anything to worry about, and if it does eventually leak you should be able to get the installers to reseal or fix it. If you're in the Bay area I know of a company that I might be able to get you a discount at... they did my camry when I worked at Toyota, they did everything and gave me a waranty. I feel it's neccesary to have the sunroof open when driving over 9 on a nice sunny day, and ****, if you do to, go for it

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I have a junk Z with T-tops and it doesn't leak and also my project car has T-tops 166,000 miles and it doesn't leak. The extra sun light was murder on the blue interior. I'm using the junk car as a donar car for a black interior. I have noticed a lot less problems with the black interior. Sam 75 280z, 81 280zxt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>I have an electric one in my 76 2+2</b>

I dont think you can do this in a regular coupe due to the shortened roof line. It is a sliding sunroof, it slides inside the roof like a stock one on a newer car. I love it, I have not seen another Z that year with one.

Craig76Z

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.