ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello my 71 240z runs hot everytime i sit for a red light it shoots way up there almost to 250( red line on gauge) now even when i drive and am moving it run hotter than i feel comforable with unless its cool out like in the 70's then its ok...ive done everything ive read on this site to fix the problem : new thermostate. new hoses. new waterpump, belts adjusted .flushed the heck out of the system (entire system not just the rad, and new fluid...so....i guess its time to replace the rad..want one that will cool better than stock..any ideas?? ive heard summit has one but cant find it in the catalogue...im in Florida and it gets real hot in summer to the point i really cant drive the 240 then...any ideas or help ???thankyou michele

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:im sorry recored??

im not sure what it intails..what would i expect to pay for this??is this like having it boiled out or dipped into some type of cleaner...sorry dont mean to be ignorant but im not sure what recored means??? i'll try anything to keep the car running cooler??? also today i noticed that when it gets warm 200 deg (meat thermomiter testing ) the fluid in the rad will slowly rise up and out of the top of the rad if the cap is off???now my nissan truck it does not do this???is this an indication of somthing like blocked rad holes or ???? thankyou for your help michele

· Registered
2,280 Posts

I did'nt see that you checked the fan clutch.....had the same problem with mine. Also is your fan shroud on the rad? You will get the same result in traffic or lights without one.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:fan shroud does it make a big cooling differenc

i dont have a fan shroud on my 240z..ive called MSA but they only sell the shroud for the 3 row rads they sell .atleast thats what he told me??? michele

· Read Only
3,883 Posts
bah!!

spend 180 on the griffin aluminum radiator from summit racing and you wont be disappointed. i have that in the 260Z8 and it stays a nice and cool 170 no matter what. i concider it a great radiator.

· Registered
35 Posts

I had a similat problem with my Datsun 1200 a few years ago- had the car for 18 yrs and it started as yours in now always losing water and over heating- as its always hot over in aust it was had to work out. After a lot of searching i worked out the problems was a film of oil or scum in the cylinder head at the top of the water jackets. This was not allowing heat transfer at the hot of the cylinder head -it was getting so hot the that the water was turning to steam there an pushing the water displaced out throught the radiator. I flushed the radiator with about a table spoon of sulfamic acid for a few hours running (twice i think) and cured the problem, once and for all. Some flushs here in Aust use a percentage of sulphamic acid, the best way i have found is to sure it pure-and replace your hoses. Hope this solves your problem- it took ages to work out the problem myself. Good luck Bill

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Re:fan shroud does it make a big cooling differenc

Fan shroud is a good thing and it does help on 240. The 240 shroud is a one piece metal shroud. Hard to find except in boneyards. Might be able to adapt the 280 2 piece plastic shroud to fit, but would have to make mods to mount it. They are available on boneyard cars too. However if the rad is clogged or fan clutch isn't working the shroud will do little to help overheating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.