ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put my 1986 300 ZX NA 2+2 5spd back on the road after winter. It suddenly has developed a running rich condition.

When I go to start it cold, it seems to start okay (a little harder to start than normal, but temps have been down into the 20s overnight).

But after it has been driven, a restart is all of a sudden (today) very difficult. I have to push the gas pedal down to get it to fire and then it will puff out black smoke and run rough. Once I raise the RPMs and "clear" out the rich condition, it seems to idle fine. But any pressure on the throttle and it will briefly hesitate/stumble then increase RPMs with puffs of black smoke coming out the exhaust. I have been driving it for 4 days and it just started today.

It will idle without dying once the rich situation has been cleared by raising RPMs, however initial let off of gas if it isn't running smooth at higher RPMs and it will die.

I have searched and seen two potential explanations: AFM or FPR.

Unfortunate part is I am at work and will not be able to be in a position to fix or swap out any parts, etc., until tomorrow -- or to run the codes.

Help, she's my daily driver now that gas went over $2 here (NC Iowa... $2.02).

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter were installed last summer (July).

Roger

Post Edited (Mar 9, 11:30am)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.