ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner had already had the Blows system replaced by a nice Kenwood deck and speakers. I have thought that I might consider adding some more bass to the system. I am not looking for a rolling boom-box. The local audio/electronics salon guy showed me a subwoofer system that included an enclosure that took the place of the headlight aiming component tray. Pure stealth. No loss of cargo space. I think he was talking about an eight or ten inch unit. Anybody hear of this? It seemed a bit pricey @ $400.00 installed, but it's been a while since I shopped for this stuff.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"an enclosure that took the place of the headlight aiming component tray."

sounds sweet, ive never heard of this. where is the headlight aiming tray located? i had a 12" in my s-10 before i sold it, so i took it out and just put it into the trunk of my TT. still has room for my tops, wont win any custom install awards but oh well, it sounds decent. id be interested in seeing that custom enclosure tho, any idea who manufactures it?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hey MR. Nut,
It's made by JL Audio. it is pretty stealthy. I know someone who has it, and said it wasn't worth the price.

BTW, custom audio is typically more expensive than if you were to do it yourself.

If you've got specific questions, please feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I just am imagining the kind of problems you would have with covering it. By covering it in that kind of enclosure and then placing the cover back over, you leave no space for the sub itself which it needs. Not to mention it will vibrate the **** out of that little cover and probably make a plastic vibrating noise which will get very annoying.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It's actually downfiring, there's not as much vibration as you would imagine. It's a nice design, but probably not the best, but then again it has to satisfy being stealthy, and not taking up much space, so it has to accomodate a lot of requirements.

****, if your pushing a lot of power, you're going to get vibrations one way or another.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I know but it usually matters whats the closest thing to it. Like if you have loose items near a sub no matter what direction you have them, you will get that rattle. I'm just more curious how the little plastic hump cover deals with the sub pressure on it.

Plus it isn't really the direction you have the sub, if you are making very small space for both sides it hurts the sub. Depending on the sub, one side can be sealed with very little air space but you have to have open airspace for the otherside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.