ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me if there are any visible differences in the 72 and 73 su's. I've been told the 72's are much better, I would just like to be sure I have them on now. (the car I have is a 72 but the previous owner screwed with it)- just want know if he screwed me when I bought it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can get a full description and photos on all the the different types of SU carborators at ztherapy.com.

·
Registered
685 Posts
When you look at the carbs there is a cylinder about the size of a soup can on each unit. If the top of the cylinder is flat at the edges , 90 degree , like a soup can and NOT rounded ," then you have the carbs that no body ", not vary many people , wants because there junk. Do your self a favor and get a manual . Also look on e-bay they have the Good carbs on there all the time. good luck , Gary Portland Or.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Early SUs (round-tops) come in three-screw and four-screw versions plus some other minor variations (see Ztherapy.com). Don't think there's much performance difference just if you're fanatical about a 'to-stock' restoratioin. Carbs made by Hitachi under license from SU.

Sometime in late '72 to early '73 they changed to Hitachi 'flat-tops,' the carb most Z-heads love to hate. A few blowhards like me think they're ok. Whatever. Harder to figure & troubleshoot, there's no doubt.

Later,
Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.