ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of reading here since I bought my 240 and I've learned a lot. I'm not a mechanic, nor do I do much work on cars other than basic maintenance, so I readily admit I'm uneducated when it comes to automotive mechanics.

So my question is, when referring to carburetors, what does SU mean?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
SU is a type of side-draft carburator that came on the 240 and 260 Zs. SU stands for Skinners Union, a brand name for the British (?) company that pioneered this carb way back when.

Hitachi licensed the technology and made them for the Z. There are two types of these carbs for Zs. The early ones, commonly referred to as "roundtops," are considered by most SU enthusiasts to be better than the later "flattops" which appeared on 260s. The latter carbs were an outgrowth of Nissan's need for fuel economy and reduced emissions.

Both styles have their fans.

Other aftermarket alternatives to the SU carb are Minkuni (sp?) and Weber. Some people put three of these carbs on a special intake manifold to increase power.

More information about the SU carb is available at

http://www.ztherapy.com

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
this is not a stupid question.. not at all. .i got plenty of people have called my carbs other than skinners union which is right.. i heard stromberg underdrafts twice.. and another z guy (zx) guy calls them sou's like everyday.. and i correct him and he says theyre s.o.u's .. theyre not..he has a mullet.. lol no offense to anyone here with a mullet.. but im in New York!

·
Registered
571 Posts
**** that’s not stupid.
I am clueless on how a carburetor works.
But if I ask a question it will provoke intellectual response.
It’s the stupid answers you need to look out for.
What’s a mullet?
New York, what’s a New York?
Isn’t that a Chrysler, Jesus.
Jesus Chrysler!!! I have a mullet in a Mopar double parked in New York.
Now that’s stupid, but it was asked for.

Madeline Michele
Is that Hollywood Cali forn I A?
Ere is it Flarada?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot WillieBoy, that clears it up. My 240 is all original so I guess it's safe to say my carbs are SU's :).

And Madeline, I'm not sure what to say. Thanks? :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.