ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i swapped my differential out a few months ago, now its really loud, clunking around back there, didnt change any bushings which i should have. It makes a whirring noise most noticeable at speeds above 50mph , could that be the carrier bearings? And there was a strap thing on the front of the mount, it didnt have any tension on it what-so-ever, that seemed pretty stupid to me, so should that be holding the front end of the diff down? since mine isn't, where can I get a new strap at?

·
Registered
362 Posts
The 'strap thing' is used like a drive line loop, in the event that the bolt in the center of the crossmember or the rubber tears apart (large HP motors do this) it holds the differential down and prevents major damage and movement. It is an endless loop that should not be tight and if yours is split, or damaged replace it. The clunk maybe do to the bolt being broken, loose, or someother problem. In first gear at idle stab it a few times (throttle open then closed repeatibly), if it clunks in-time with the throttle then check the rubber mount that connects the crossmember to the front of the differential it may be split where the rubber mounts to the housing, this could also cause the noise at speed. But varify the bath is full of fluid and the drive line bolts are tight. I have broken two bolts and ripped the rubber off the mount. Solution; I fabricated an all steel unit (trans aswell) but this may be far to advanced for the help your looking for but the benifits are well worth the headache of broken parts. Parts are readible available through junk yards as well as aftermartket suppliers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.