ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my problem is with the strange idea of Datsun to put a seat and seatbelt safety swith on the 260. You must be sitting in the seat with the belt on or the car will not start. I would like to disable this feature without causing any electrical problems. I tried disconnecting the wires to the belt and seat with no luck. I then tried to jumper the wires together with no luck. I then put a meter on them and found 12V going to the seat and belt! If I ground on of the wires, I see a nice spark and hear the relay in my engine compartment click. This fixes the problem, but could potentialy drain my battery. I have no idea what the other wire is for. If anyone has any ideas of how to bypass the system altogether or however, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think that my relay was just unplugged. I know the P.O. had lots of rewiring going on in my 260Z when I bought it, but I don't know if he had it wired up to a common ground or power lead. I can check it out tomorrow if you want me to. You are refering to the relay beside the fusable links that are connected to the interlock system, aren't you. Let me know

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
> Well my problem is with the strange idea of
> Datsun to put a seat and seatbelt safety
> swith on the 260. You must be sitting in the
> seat with the belt on or the car will not
> start. I would like to disable this
> feature without causing any
> electrical problems. I tried disconnecting
> the wires to the belt and seat with no luck.
> I then tried to jumper the wires together
> with no luck. I then put a meter on them and
> found 12V going to the seat and belt! If I
> ground on of the wires, I see a nice spark
> and hear the relay in my engine compartment
> click. This fixes the problem, but could
> potentialy drain my battery. I have no idea
> what the other wire is for. If anyone has
> any ideas of how to bypass the system
> altogether or however, I would appreciate
> it.

> Thanks,

> Jason

Don't blame Nissan. Blame the NHTSA. They were the ones who mandated the seatbelt interlocks. I don't have a 260 so I can't really guess how to defeat this safety feature. You may want to measure the current flowing through the system when you ground the wire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.