ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 AE 5-spd. When I start it up cold it runs fine but when it warms up it stumbles bad from idle to 3K. As soon as it reaches 3K its as though someone turns a switch and it runs awesome. I swapped out engines and the old one that was in there did not have this problem. The newer engine has new plugs, wires, distributor and timing belt. It aslo has new fuel and air filter. I've replaced the AFM with a known good one and no luck. I've checked the timing and its dead on. I don't know what else to check. The codes I get are to do with speed sensor. The car has a manual trans and the engine is out of another AE with an auto trans. Could the ECU's cause this problem. I wouldn't think so seeming how I have the ecu that was in the car originally. Also, could the O2 sensor cause this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
793 Posts
you probably need the ECU for the new engine! But Im not 100% sure

·
Registered
793 Posts
Or its your Idle sensor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any place in the harness that is more prone to corrosion? Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah right where the harness meets the injector at the electical connetion!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Redoing the injector connxs:

While the plug wires are off and old plugs are still in, it might be a good time to clean & condition the injector connxs.

This isn't an easy job, but it CAN be done. Mine were all green colored (copper sulphate?) and at least one connx would occassionally fail for a period if the wire was bumped.

Best bet is to start on the passenger side due to better access, and so it is easier to learn as you go. A few of the gizmos in the way might need to be loosened or removed to get to some injectors...watch how they need to go back on.

Doing one at a time....remove the wire clip using a small screwdriver....then find it using the magnetic pickup or flexible claw tools. Careful, they can jump.

Pull the connx off using the wire coming from it...this should not harm the wires and is a test for their condition. Also a good idea check the wires where they enter the connectors for condition and lack of insulation. etc.

I used a small bottle brush and a tooth brush to clean up the contacts...then blew the dust out with air.

Then used some contact cleaner to clean & condition them (ProGold).

Also, I used a very small screwdriver to bend the split side of the female side of the contacts IN some to increase tension in the connector (need to be careful not to crack the plastic)...then worked the connx back & forth several times on the injector to help clean it.

Before final assembly I smeared some di-electric grease on both sides...connector & injector.

Then put the wire clip back on each connector...this takes some practice....a good pair of needle nose pliers is a must for this job.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ray...... VERY IMPORTANT , to POST >>>> (HINT) to everobody---what Solved your Problem.... ??? I persoanlly wouldn't rule out, Spark Plugs, or wires... on his Stumble Problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.