ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 82 turbo that ran great and idled fine up until one night.I came out after leaveinga freinds house and cranked it up to let it warm up.It ideld fine.as soon as i put it in gear(automatic)and pressed the gas pedal it started missing.It ackted like it had no power and keeped spiting and sputtering.I did'nt think I was going to get up the drive.I put it back in park and pressed the accelerater and it picked up fine untill it got between 2500 and 3000 rpm.At this point the motor acted like it was dieing.The more i pushed the pedal the lower the rpm's went.It never would die but it would 'nt pick up either.we put a gauge on the fuel line just past the filter and it is running around 25 to 28 lbs.At full throttle all at once it reads 35lbs,all the test shows from what I can tell is that at idle I may be around 5lbs low on pressure.what couses my stumble.Robin

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry I don't have an answer for you. But I'm having the same problems. If you find the answer please tell me. I'll try to do the same.
thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine did the same thing,only I was driving it when it happened. Now it won't start at all. I don't know what it is but I hope someone finds out and shares it with us all.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I have had this same problem twice now during the 8 months I've owned my 81 280zxt. Mine is also an automatic.

The first time, the car would not exceed 30 miles an hour, spit, sputter and backfire through the intake. I had just replaced the filter and thought it might have been bad. I purchased another filter and it fixed the problem.

The second incident ocurred about a month ago. The car would not rev over 3000 RPM without spitting, sputtering and backfiring through the intake. This time a new fuel filter did not resolve the problem. At the advice of a fellow forum member, I plugged and unplugged the ECU connectors several times and the problem disappeared imediately. It has been running great since then. I guess the connections get dirty over time and need to be cleaned.

Hope this helps,
Phil

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has any moisture been in the engine area. it is possible that moisture in your
AFM connections needs to be wiped off. I had the exact same symptoms last
year. Check other sensors at the front of the engine also. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.