ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thing that is cool is when you do a traffic school online, you can electronically jot down EXACTLY what the course says... HONESTLY, this was in the course that I took to drop of a point for a ticket. Seriously! California... Stuff like this:

The folks at the DMV like to tell people that an automobile is as dangerous as a loaded gun, if not operated properly. In terms of end-result, they're right -- dead is dead. In terms of overall impact, they are way off the mark. Accidental death from firearms is about 1,000 each year. You are 40 times more likely to die in an automobile collision than from an accident involving a loaded gun.

You may not manually change gears while crossing the railroad tracks.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration argues that one-fourth of all traffic deaths are caused by distracted drivers. Amazing as it may sound, eating and drinking legal beverages while driving poses a greater hazard than cell phone use.

According to the Atlanta Constitution, September 15, 2002, a client of Hagerty Insurance in Michigan actually has a food restriction on his license -- he is not allowed to have anything edible within reach while he is behind the wheel. This because of multiple food related collisions.

Primary collision factors represent the major reasons why collisions occur. They refer to what the driver was actually doing that caused the collision. The California Highway Patrol uses 23 different categories to record primary collision factors.
Here are the top five, in descending order of incidence, in California for the year 2002:

Type Percentage Total number of collisions
Speed 27% 87,396
Auto right-of-way 19% 61,402
Improper turning 10% 33,038
Stop signals and signs 10% 30,629
DUI 7% 22,358

These make up 73% of all fatal and injury collisions in California for that year. Other primary collision factors include: unsafe lane change, unknown causes, driving on the wrong side of the road, following too closely, pedestrian violations, pedestrian right-of-way, unsafe starting and backing, other than driver, other hazardous conditions, other improper driving, improper passing, falling asleep at the wheel, pedestrian DUI, other equipment failure, hazardous parking, impeding traffic, brake failure, and lights. Collisions are primarily caused by failure to obey the law - with speed issues heading the list.

When it appears that you are going to be hit from the front, if you have a shoulder strap you should raise your arms and hands to protect your face. Resist the urge to brace yourself against the steering wheel when being struck head on, you do not possibly have the strength to stop your momentum -- the shoulder strap will lock into place to protect you.

If you do not have a shoulder strap, you should throw yourself across the seat to avoid striking the steering column or the windshield.

Choosing Lanes of Travel
Driving on the freeway generally allows you to drive the furthest distance in the shortest amount of time. Choosing which lane to travel in on the freeway can help to ease congestion, and enable everyone to travel more securely.

Two-Lane Freeways
On freeways with only two lanes traveling in each direction, the right hand lane is the driving lane, while the left-hand lane should be used for passing only.

As soon as you have passed the slower vehicle, merge back into the right hand lane.

Three Lanes or More
On freeways with three or more lanes going in each direction, the right hand lanes are known as the slow lanes. These lanes are for use by drivers who wish to drive at a safe speed for the freeway, but not at fast as vehicles to their left. One caution about driving in the far right lane: this is the lane into which traffic enters from on-ramps from which traffic moves to off-ramps. As a result, this lane tends to be very busy. On four lane freeways, it is better to drive in the next lane over from the far right. Center lanes are usually for faster traffic, but you should still remain within the posted speed limit.

If you are being crowded from behind by speeders, move to your right and let them pass. The left lane, sometimes referred to as the fast lane, should remain clear for passing.

In 1981, in Harlan County Nebraska, a truck, loaded with explosives, hit a cow and blew up.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Good info to know, and poor cow.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
"On freeways with only two lanes traveling in each direction, the right hand lane is the driving lane, while the left-hand lane should be used for passing only. "

That doesn't happen it TN, GA, NC, VA. The apparent attitude is "I'll drive where the f uck I want & be pissed if anyone tries to pass me."

·
Registered
281 Posts
"On freeways with only two lanes traveling in each direction, the right hand lane is the driving lane, while the left-hand lane should be used for passing only. "

That doesn't happen it TN, GA, NC, VA. The apparent attitude is "I'll drive where the f uck I want & be pissed if anyone tries to pass me."
I swear Okies see the onramp as a parking lot, they slow down and even stop trying to "merge" into traffic.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Ain't no Okie, but you need a long merge from the end of the ramp if people are driving 90mph nose-to-tail.
You don't need a long merge, you need a faster car...

90mph nose-to-tail doesn't happen, anywhere. When traffic becomes saturated, speeds drop precipitously.

If traffic is able to go 70mph, you accelerate to 70 in the merge and you will find an opening.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Oh, gawd, Dan, it was a bit of a metaphor. Of course, you speed up or slow down to find a spot to fit in, if people don't try to tuck up so you can't. There's one ramp in Phila that's been a pain for 60 years--it merges from a bridge on a downslope into the left land of traffic, with a short merge area, and looking back over your shoulder or in the mirror your view is partially blocked by the wall on the ramp.

90 mph nose-to-tail does happen metaphorically if you're trying to get in before the ramp runs out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Out here in Cali, everyone is in the fast lane. I personaly like the slow lane or driving lane and pass everyone and keep a eye for the CHP in my rearview mirror.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Just what some people have been saying all along about cows and methane -

eat more beef and reduce the expolsion hazard.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
From experience for truck accidents majority of the ones we filed where cases of car drivers not paying attention. Yet we pay for damages still despite this as people play "I didn't see it."

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I'm somewhat suprised that following too close isn't higher on the list.
Junkman your right, I had this lady sitting in the passing lane holding up traffic for quite a ways. I was about to pass her on the right but could just sense it wasn't a good move. Low and behold the next exit she went from the passing lane straight across and took the exit. No signal and flipping me off the entire manuever. Why on earth would you be in the left lane when you know your going to be exiting soon? She had no regard for anyone else on the road, sweeping across like that. And to top it off she was mad at me...sometimes I really do wish I was a cop.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
the next exit she went from the passing lane straight across and took the exit. No signal and flipping me off the entire manuever. Why on earth would you be in the left lane when you know your going to be exiting soon? She had no regard for anyone else on the road, sweeping across like that. And to top it off she was mad at me...sometimes I really do wish I was a cop.
I've got to ask what kind of car she was driving. I've had a lot more flips from girls and women than men, mostly because I try to impede their weaving in and out and trying to get somewhere before their nail polish dries.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I could get more accomplished too - but just try to find any kind of ammo for sale now!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
It was an older focus. I thought she'd be on her phone to but it didn't look like it. Yeah there have been far more women.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Caution: Driver in rearview mirror maybe dumber than appears.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bann deadly assault bovines now! It's for the children!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts