ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all,

So I just barely got my 280zx drivable and I drove it around for a bit it drove nicely and had good response.
I ended up redoing fuel lines on the fuel rail so it sat for 2 days, and earlier today I got everything put together and went to crank it over and I heard an odd noise coming from the engine, so my first action was to take off the valve cover and see what was going on. When I got it off I saw 3 lash pads that were off and 4 valves were open.

I’m curious what exactly went wrong in the 2 days it sat but I am running “performance” headers with nothing else coming off the headers so is it something with back pressure? And my oil pressure is good so I doubt it’s a lack of oil that caused it.

Also curious if I could have damaged anything internally.

· Registered
424 Posts
Carma, fate, Murphy's Law, coincidence, phase of the moon.....................
This is an interference engine so you may have bent valves.
Sorry to hear this, it always sux when something unexpected like this happens.

· Registered
611 Posts
A couple guys I know locally have had stuck valves in their 240s. They attributed it to old gas, and both seem to have had success freeing up with Sea Foam. Might be worth a try before you pull the head.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple guys I know locally have had stuck valves in their 240s. They attributed it to old gas, and both seem to have had success freeing up with Sea Foam. Might be worth a try before you pull the head.
Yes actually I took my head apart and all 6 intake valves had varnish gummed up making them stick to I cleaned all of them out and thankfully no bent valves! I’ll be putting it back together sometime next week

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Once you get it repaired think about additives to lube the top of the engine. I use Lucas fuel treatment and MMO as I drive my Z less and less. Lucas is my go to additive.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once you get it repaired think about additives to lube the top of the engine. I use Lucas fuel treatment and MMO as I drive my Z less and less. Lucas is my go to additive.
I will look into that I got all the valves cleaned up thankfully none of them were bent just very sticky from varnish so I drained the tank as best I could then filled it up with new gas and dumped a can of seafoam into it to help clean the injectors and whatknot.

· Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,757 Posts
If you run a good synthetic oil (which is the only option you should consider) you won't have any problem with sticking valves. It won't hurt (and may help) to run Techron or Seafoam occasionally if you have any gas concerns...but it's more for the injectors than anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts