ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Z....it rides like a caddy....i believe this to be worn struts....what's the best kind of shock tokico, kyb? i'm looking for a suspension that can takke the potholes as well as letting me stay on the road....the current ones i can go over train tracks at 55 and it bumps 3 times. like floating on air...and i don't like it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sounds like the way my '77 used to ride.
What year car and how many miles on it?
My original struts lasted 159,000 and then one finally blew oil. That was what finally convinced me to change them out.
Here's the deal though.
If you have a car with lots of miles on it like mine your springs have probably sagged. I call them sprungs rather than springs. Anyway, if you put new struts on sprungs they won't last as long as they should and will not perform as well as they should.
I opted for the Nissan (sold by Motorpsort Auto) European spec springs. Technically they lower the car 1/4 from original ride height. My sprungs were so bad they actually raised my car nearly an inch. Then I put on a set of KYB's. The whole set-up is now much stiffer and responsive - but not harsh.
My car is a daily driver so not looking for the Nth degree of handling that come with adjustables, etc. Talk to some folks - ride in a car that has new struts in it - decide what fits your desires best and go for it.
I'm well satisfied with mine. No rebound when I sail across the railroad tracks now - just good solid road contact.
Phantom

·
Registered
77 Posts
> If you have a car with lots of miles on it
> like mine your springs have probably sagged.
> I call them sprungs rather than springs.
> Anyway, if you put new struts on sprungs
> they won't last as long as they should and
> will not perform as well as they should.
> I opted for the Nissan (sold by Motorpsort
> Auto) European spec springs. Technically
> they lower the car 1/4 from original
> ride height. My sprungs were so bad they
> actually raised my car nearly an inch. Then
> I put on a set of KYB's. The whole set-up is
> now much stiffer and responsive - but not
> harsh.
> Phantom

I too am about to change the original springs/struts on my 77 and I am considering
a Eibach/Tokica combo or the Motorsport Euros/KYB combo. I am not looking to
lower my car much, so I prefer the Euro/KYB combo. However, I can get the Eibach/Tokico combo for $449.00 (@www.shox.com) which is cheaper than the Euro/KYB combo. Do you (or anyone else) know where the Euros are available at a lower price than Motorsport Auto. Does the 1 lift bother you at all, because that is what I am probably in for? Thanks.

Scott77

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Scott,
Sorry,Got the struts locally but total cost, installed, for me was still about $580.
Actually, I'm very pleased with the lift. I also have the Motorsport Auto Aero II ground effects package and now my fiberglass front air dams clears most curbs by about 1/2. Wouldn't have if it weren't for the new springs. Look is good too!!!
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Does the 1 lift bother you at
> all, because that is what I am probably in
> for? Thanks.
> Scott77

The lift was closer to 2 on my car with new stock springs and KYB struts. My suspension was seriously worn out! I don't mind the lift one bit, personally I would never consider lowering springs for my daily driver. If I were just driving it for attention or racing that's another story.. but having to slow way down for speed bumps just isn't my style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.