Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I have been searching the posts for info, but want to throw this out there too.

My z definitely needs struts. It jumps all over the road when I hit bumps, and rear end jumps around under hard accelleration. Also pretty rough ride.

I see from searching that a lot of folks like the KYB AGX struts.

Here is my question: Do the stock springs wear out? How can you tell if they are worn?

MaxDOC, are you still using original springs? Did the KYB's make a big improvement in the ride without replacing the springs?

I dont have any desire to lower the car, and am looking for a reasonably cost effective solution to fix the poor suspension. The KYB's seem reasonable for around 430 or so.

Thanks for the input. If I had the $$$ I would go for a coilover set, but at 1k and up I dont want to go that route unless necessary.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
If you are going to change to a NON OEM strut/shock I would DEFINITELY suggest you get new springs.

To your question: "Here is my question: Do the stock springs wear out? "

Yes

"How can you tell if they are worn? "

bouncy ride
more lean than normal
over 60k miles?

IMHO get the Eibach Pro-Kit. To replace the struts/shocks you will have to remove the springs anyway so might as well upgrade.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My OEM springs are still ok and I'm using them with AGXs.

The AGXs w/ stock springs made a definite improvement in my ride... though I wouldn't say its smoother. But I don't care much about it being smooth.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Mr. TomR is correct....

You can tell if the springs in your car are sagging. Measure the ride height from the top of wheel well arch to the ground. Older Zs will average up to 1/2 inch drop from factory specs requiring new springs or adjustable upper links to re-gain the correct camber setting. I am currently looking for new struts myself as mine are weak and starting to loose the upper seal. I don't have the correct ride height measurements at this moment but someone may have a FSM handy.
MaxDoc

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Takahashi, how many miles on your ride?

TomR good idea - I didn't think to check specs with service manual - Duhhh

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I re-searched and see it was chris carr that said he had kyb with stock tt springs.

Chris, if your out there, how is this working for you?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Re: Mr. TomR is correct....

acetrebo,

I neglected to mention earlier that you should take into account any variations caused by using non-OEM tire and/or wheel sizes.
TomR

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just installed new KYBs on all corners and retained the oem springs. My fronts were leaking and was sure the rears would follow. I set the kybs to the softest setting and (for now) I feel some improvement in the ride. I'll need more time to figure out what setting will suit me best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.