ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When re-assembling the struts, how are the bump stops installed?
What keeps them from just sliding around all over the strut shaft? I know there is a small ridge on the strut shaft that acts like a barrier, but it does not seem to be sufficient. Do you glue them to the upper spring perch to hold them in place? Thanks for any input

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Hi Sean73.
Excellent questions. Your first strut-cartrige rebuild I assume. Okay your answer to " What keeps them ( bumb stops} from just sliding around" is a very simple and obvious one: The Coil Spring when Uncompressed is held by its Groved plate at the top of your 'bumbstops' and with that much tension ......at least 80lbs per square inch with really weak springs, now imagine aftermarket strong springs at 150lbs to 200lbs plus.......your bumbstops are not going to move at all. Oh, if you are attempting to replace your strut cartriges or install new springs please insure that you have a good mechanically excellent coilspring compressor. Please do NOT loosen that top center-nut atop the strut assembly to removal untill your coilspring compressor is firmly attached and anchored and you have compressed the springs thereby holding them from F.L.Y.I.N.G. directly into your face.. We want you around here at Zcar and, besides, none of us would know where to send the flowers. Be careful, but have fun. shane-

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry - I made it through the dangerous part of removing the old springs, with a spring compressor of course.

The new springs don't need a compressor to be installed so assembly is easy.

According to my FSM, the installation order (after strut is in place) is as follows:

spring, bump stop, spring seat, bearing, insulator, nut

So the bump stop is sandwiched between the ~1.5mm groove on the strut shaft, and the upper spring seat, right? My concern is that even the poly bump stops have enough flexibility to be pushed right past ridge on the strut shaft.

Even when held in at 180 lbs/in^2, the small area where the bump stop is sandwiched seems precarious.

Am I supposed to have a little washer that rests on the ridge of the strut shaft?

·
Registered
280 Posts
When your suspension compresses, the bumpstop isn't going to go anywhere but up towards the upper spring perch. There is no action going on in your suspension that should make the bumpstop move downwards on the strut shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.