ZCar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!

It's been a while, but I'm finally getting the old girl back on the road.

Replacing the struts and finally getting the polyurethane bushings in.

Upon replacing the struts I noticed when I reassembled one it had a lean to it. Took both back apart and notice the inside is different on each of them, and one has more of a lean to it.

Tried to search but didn't find anything on this.
Is one of these shot? Or the wrong part?
These have been on the car since I bought it in 96.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's hard to see the lean on one in that second pic, but the one on the right has much more of a lean to it. That was the one I noticed with the lean after reassembling it. This pic shows it a little better.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
They sure are hard to find these days. Kicking myself for not buying a set.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They sure are hard to find these days. Kicking myself for not buying a set.
They seem to still be solid, I was just perplexed on how they looked different inside. And the lean since the FSM doesn't mention installing a certain way. I guess they've been that way since at least 96, so I'll put it back together that way unless someone can tell me if I'm missing a part, or these are the wrong parts.
Although from what I can tell, there is only a difference between the 240/early 260 and the late 260/280 mounts with the 240 mount being shorter.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I got 240 or the front insulators in a pinch when I did my 5 speed swap because my rear driver side isolator came apart while on jackstands (not harbor freight!). With the 240 version now I have a slight rake.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Ribbey, They look different inside because the insulator on the left doesn't have the rubber insert in it. Look at the old ones you pulled off your z and you'll see what I mean. Those inserts usually come right out but sometimes they glue themselves in. In that case a couple of small screwdrivers can be used to pry them out from the inner diameter. They set the upper spring perch height. I attached a pic of a used one for you to see.
bificus, I think that you mean a reverse rake. When a car has a rake that means it's higher in the back end than it is in the front. Yours should be higher in the front compared to the back when you don't use the taller 280 insulators. I have plenty of good used ones if anyone ever needs any. Z man of Washington

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Zman, thanks for that info.
These are the insulators I pulled off my car and that inner piece wasn't there, so I have to assume the previous owner put it back together that way at some point. Or maybe it just disintegrated?
How much for one of those inserts (is that called the spacer?), or a insulator if the insert isn't available?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Correct ZMOW, reverse rake is the right term. Thanks for supporting us and all our Z cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts